-=PCTechTalk=- Backing up

  • From: "Patti or Ken" <patken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 17:26:27 +1200

Hi Gman and all
I've done some homework....
So I'm ready to do my back-ups!
But I need to ask for more advice
I've always saved music and photos on CD/DVD's but it's other things I'm not
sure on.

Win XPPro was re-installed on this PC on July 6th after another mighty upset.
Not exactly a "crash" but files that were missing and the CD/DVD drive was
dis-abled.
My SIL does all my computer work (he owns a small computer business) and did
his best to save files I wanted to keep. These were dragged onto "D" drive.
When the "c" drive was ready he dragged all the stuff back on it it. Things
like My Documents, my address book, my music, my pictures were all restored.

 Today I thought the best thing to do would be to go through each folder one by
one and decide what to clean off the computer first and had a good look at the
"d" drive and looked into a Folder Program Files and there are 10gigs of my
games that he had dragged over! They do not work. I guess that's because the
system files and bits and pieces needed were left behind!
Does this mean that I can safely delete this folder from "d" drive.
None of the programmes there show up in control panel delete/install.

I have looked at other folders and haven't a clue what a lot of the stuff is.
Do I Google them to see what they are and how do I know if I need them?

I also will check my CD's that I have stored photos and music on over several
years and redo the ones I definitely want to keep.

I think that's enough for me to get on with,  hope all this made sense.

Patti