[passcoalition] Re: response from Straphangers Campaign

  • From: "Sharlene Kraft" <sharrob1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <passcoalition@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 16:29:59 -0500

Hi Ken,

That's good.  I hope they will keep their word.

Sharlene
          From: Straphangers Campaign <straphangers@xxxxxxxxxx>
          Subject: Re: Speak Up for Transit for all
          To: "Ken Stewart" <cclvi@xxxxxxxxx>
          Date: Thursday, February 3, 2011, 11:42 AM

          Dear Ken,

          Recently, you wrote us in response to an email we sent out. We
understand your concern over pedestrian and cyclist conflicts and hope that
there will be a resolution taken up by the city in regards to these matters. We
will do our best to keep those interests in mind as we monitor the progress of
the Select Bus Service and other initiatives to improve transit move forward by
the City.

          We appreciate your feelings about what the CIty has and has not been
able to do to improve transportation for transit riders and pedestrians. New
Yorkers like you can greatly contribute to the debate of how we get a more
livable city. We hope to continue to hear about your concerns in the future.

          Thanks for writing us.

          Gene, Jason and Cate

          On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 8:42 PM, Ken Stewart <cclvi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

            No indeed!  Many of these changes have actually made our city more
dangerous
            for pedestrians who are elderly or vision impaired.  Examples
include;
            modifying intersection signal timing and geometry without adding
detectible
            warning strips or accessible pedestrian signals; the S.B.S.
curbside fare
            collection devices lack tacctile and high visibility features to
help
            finding them in spite of the T.A. receiving specific input about
that
            anticipated problem; plans to prolong the green signal for a Select
Bus
            Service vehicle without any consideration of its consequence for
pedestrians
            who depend on the predictability of signal phase timing;  a
commitment for
            countdown signals with no consideration for pedestrians who cannot
see the
            visual information or may misjudge the flashing due to aging
vision;  no
            apparent awareness of some research that documents that Countdown
signals
            increase "daredevil" behavior among pedestrians; belated plans for
increased
             enforcement of traffic laws applying to bicycles while greatly
increasing
            the locations where pedestrian-biker conflict is likely.
            --- On Mon, 1/31/11, Straphangers Network

            From: Straphangers Network <network@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
            Subject: Speak Up for Transit
            To: cclvi@xxxxxxxxx
            Date: Monday, January 31, 2011, 11:38 AM

            Dear riders:
            Do you like some of the transportation innovations the City has
championed
            lately? These include faster buses on First and Second Avenues in
Manhattan,
            pedestrian plazas around the city, countdown clocks at many
crosswalks and a
            Safe Routes for Seniors intersection safety program.
            If you agree with us that these improvements have been good for New
York,
            click on www.tstc.org/nycthanks/ to send a thank you note to the
City.
            Gene, Jason and Cate

            NYPIRG Straphangers Campaign
            One Click to a Better Commute - http://www.straphangers.org
            Find us on Facebook
            This e-mail has been sent by NYPIRG (9 Murray St Fl 3, New York NY
10007)
            since you are subscribed to the Straphangers.Org Network List.
Unsubscribe
            or modify your bulletin options.
            You are subscribed as: cclvi@xxxxxxxxx