[pasmembers] Re: input requested

  • From: Terri <starstuff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PAS Members ListServ <pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 15:20:16 -0700

For those wanting to know what I did with the Star Naming info you sent
me... i gathered all your answers, put them into one email and sent them to
Mark. Now it is up to him if and how he wishes to name, if he does, a star
to be romantic. Thank you all for your input.
Have a super day!
And a super, awesome, weekend!
Terri

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 6:40 AM, Kevin Witts <kjwitts@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I agree with William. It's not a scam if you receive what you paid for.

You'll be given a certificate with the stars identified and named in a
database. Scammy companies will tell you that the name is internationally
recognized. Other will say that the name is registered in a database. In
that case. it's not a lie. There is just no international organization that
shares all databases.

I wish the guy a lot of luck and credit him for thinking out of the box.

On Jul 16, 2015, at 4:54 AM, William Finch <psychogilgamesh@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I'd call star naming a novelty gift instead of a scam. However, this sums
it up very well: https://www.iau.org/public/themes/buying_star_names/
On Jul 16, 2015 12:39 AM, "Howard Moneta" <hmoneta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Those who name stars typically use their full name spelled backward. I
named a couple of stars Drawoh and Atenom and it didn't cost me a thing!
Don't remember which ones they are anymore...
On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 5:38 PM L Phx <lphxaz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Oh and his first name and DOB too
On Jul 15, 2015 8:37 PM, "L Phx" <lphxaz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The "star naming" companies are all scams. Not "just a little". Nobody
can "officially" name a star. Even if they give you a certificate that it
is in their catalog - so what? It won't be in anyone else's catalog. Why
pay them good money for a worthless piece of paper? Also the stars they
choose are really faint ones that you could never see anyway. SCAM SCAM
SCAM!!!

My suggestion is to choose a good naked eye star, maybe 3rd mag. A
good one would be a star about the same distance as her age in years. E.g.
if she is 30, then a star that is 30 light years away. That means we are
now seeing light that left the star on the day she was born. Tell me her
DOB and first name and I will find something really appropriate. Also PAS
can print a really nice certificate for free (or for the cost of ink and
paper).
On Jul 15, 2015 8:14 PM, <kjwitts@xxxxxxx> wrote:

And Terri,
I have a GREAT idea regarding something he might want to do. Too much
typing to explain it here... I can describe it to you on Saturday.

---- Terri <starstuff@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
PAS Members,

A wonderful gentleman who wants to propose to his future wife at a
star
party we are doing in October, wishes to name 2 stars, near each
other,
after the two of them. He wants to know if this is a reputable site
purchase 2 stars for this purpose. Anyone interested in doing some
research
and sending me data on places to go to get stars names after someone?

*https://www.starregistry.com/isrOrder/dspitem.cfm?ProductId=150
<https://www.starregistry.com/isrOrder/dspitem.cfm?ProductId=150>*

I mentioned to him that in order to see these 2 stars in the night
sky on
Oct 17, the date of the star party we are doing for this couple, to
be sure
the magnitude of the stars are no less than 12th magnitude, and that
they
are in these constellations: Aquila, Hercules, Lyra, Draco, Ursa
Major,
Cepheus, Cassiopeia, PIsces, Pegasus and Andromeda.

Keep in mind, this location has the horizon blocked by a barn
directly
East, that extends for some of the scopes to N. East, and a house to
the
South. But all of the S.W. around to the W and up to North are open
for
viewing.
So, i picked constellations that could be seen at 9pm on Oct 17, for
which
they can view their twin stars, maybe a double star, maybe not, at
the star
party.
Why 9pm? I picked a time in which it will be dark, no sunlight, and
the
Moon has set by this time. And we do it before the end of the party,
which
I believe will be 10pm.

If you have input on this, please let me know. My other thought was
that we
don't want them standing on a tall ladder to see their stars, like
doing a
viewing through Eric's scope as an example, when it is pointed up
towards
the Zenith. It is more romantic if they can be holding on to each
other
while viewing their stars, from the ground.

Thank you for your input. This event will get on line soon. And this
event
does use the Rotation list.

I would like to collect your answers and send them to Mark soon.
Thanks so
very much for your research. And if you have any suggestions on how
to make
this situation work well for this couple, let me know.

It is awesome to have such a wonderful collection of friends in this
Astronomy Club. I look forward to your input.

Have a super day!
Terri, Event Manager

Terri Phoenix Astronomical Society <http://www.pasaz.org/> Event
Manager
Visit the P.A.S. Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/PhoenixAstronomicalSociety> Page & My
Facebook
Visit my Music Page: Private Music Instructor
<http://www.MusicLessonsbyTerri.com
<http://www.musiclessonsbyterri.com/>> & Music Facebook
<
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Music-Lessons-by-Terri/170920862925772>