[pasmembers] Re: Tonight's PVCC North star party - Parking ideas

  • From: LPhxAZ <lphxaz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Terri Finch" <events@xxxxxxxxx>, "Chester Schuler" <chetsch@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 13:00:14 -0700

some more ideas:

Venus is now at its quarter-phase (i.e. half a circle).  not a crescent yet,
but through a scope you can definitely see that it's "not all there"....

Jupiter:  at 7 pm, Europa will be a little below (west of) Jupiter, and
Callisto will be a little above (east of) Jupiter.  Io and Ganymede will be
right near Jupiter's east edge, and then they will both *transit* from 7 to 9
pm.  if there is a scope that can show that well (e.g. sometimes you can see
their shadow on Jupiter) that is something to show.  a transit of two moons.

Mars:  good idea, still at opposition.  and I think its polar cap is visible.

Saturn will not rise till 8 pm, which means really waiting till 9 pm to see it,
and even then it will be low in the east. but if you can show it, everybody
loves Saturn!  Titan will be just below (east of) Saturn.

even with the Moon up, the Pleiades and the Double Cluster should be easy to
show.  and Orion Nebula as Terri mentioned.  Ursa major, Leo & Virgo are up
too.  I don't know how visible the "faint fuzzies" will be under those
conditions, but good luck!