[pasmembers] Re: Thinking of starting a new item in the Newsletter

  • From: Terri <starstuff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PAS Members ListServ <pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 15:24:38 -0700

Alex, the deadline for the Summer issue is June 15.
We post it July 1.
You have time to write something for the Summer issue. Thanks.

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 2:04 PM, Alex Vrenios <axv@xxxxxxx> wrote:

...Another idea is to look up astronomy stuff, and write a brief
article... maybe start with a question about something current that is
happening, and then write about it, as far as what you find on the internet
and in other news sources, and put that in the Newsletter.

I’d like to do this. Sounds like fun. If the summer issue isn’t out yet,
maybe something about the Pluto project would be appropriate.

Alex

On May 21, 2015, at 10:46 AM, Terri <starstuff@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Good morning PAS Members,

I was looking at a periodical that I pick up once in a while called Coffee
News. I was at Hibachi Grill last night and they had one and i picked it up
and they have a "Trivia" (they call it) section.
This gave me an idea for our Newsletter. Rigth now, we are doing well with
articles and reviews, and photos for the reviews... but what if we made the
newsletter more interesting with some Q & A?

I was wondering if someone wanted to do a column in the newsletter, where
by they provide 5 short questions, or more or less, it would be up to you,
and then the answers in a separate paragraph format such that we can put
them in 2 different places within the newsletter. The Questions on page 2,
and maybe the answers on page 8 as an example.

What this newspaper does is the one page (it is only a 2 page item, front
and back) has something like this:

There are 5 questions, but i'm only going to choose 2 of them from the 5
for this example:

3. A grapnel is a nautical term for what?
5. Heliology pertains to the science of what?

And then on another page, we have the Answers:

3. Anchor
5. Sun

The questions & answers would be as long or as short as needed to get the
info out there, kinda like trivia, but we could call it Q & A, for the
title of our article.

--

Another option would be, and this was suggested by Matt, we could ask the
teachers who we do star parties for, what quesions the kids have for PAS,

But what i'm looking for is someone to put together the info and just
submit it to me to get it ready, each month, to include in the newsletter.
We'd make it a featured item in the newsletter for this next PAS Year (Sept
to May issues).

Does anyone want to work on this kind of item and submit them to me for
the newsletter?

You can make it as simple or as complex as you want.

--

Another idea is to look up astronomy stuff, and write a brief article...
maybe start with a question about something current that is happening, and
then write about it, as far as what you find on the internet and in other
news sources, and put that in the Newsletter.

--

I got to thinking, most of our newsletter is reviews of events we have
done, with photos, which is great, because we are using it as a way to keep

We still need the reviews and photos of those events we did, but it would
be great to have something new for this year. And if it doesn't work out
all year long, we can drop it when it no longer fits the need. I just
wanted something new this year... for the newsletter. We need more people
reading the newsletter. It will also make the newsletter more searchable if
we are talking about current events.

Send me some ideas you have for improving the newsletter and then let's
put it to action.
Many thanks for the input I got from some of you, about this idea.

Terri, Event Coordinator

Terri Phoenix Astronomical Society <http://www.pasaz.org/> Event
Coordinator
Visit the P.A.S. Facebook
Visit my Music Page: Private Music Instructor
<http://www.musiclessonsbyterri.com/> & Music Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Music-Lessons-by-Terri/170920862925772>
Page