[pasmembers] Re: Sam's Club Telescope

  • From: LPhxAZ <lphxaz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 15:29:56 -0700

there is a joke about a housewife who goes to the store and asks how much they are charging for apples. the storekeeper tells her - $1.50 a pound. the housewife replies, "but the store down the street is selling them for 50 cents a pound." the storekeeper says - "so buy them there." the housewife replies, "but they're all out." to which the storekeeper says, "if I were all out of apples, I could also sell them for 50 cents a pound."

I don't deny that the scope at Sam's Club was a real bargain. but, if they don't have it, then the price is irrelevant. that is why I sent the other info.

are they out of it at all branches of Sam's Club? maybe some have it and some don't. are they going to be getting in more stock?

now personally, I am not a fan of go-to scopes. I think they are anti-educational, and while it might be the quickest way to find a specific object, you totally lose out on the "scenic route". you might as well just buy a coffee-table book. astronomy is more than just looking at specific objects. sometimes, what you see on the "scenic route" is what makes the viewing more interesting! plus, you learn to find your way around. you don't get that with a go-to scope. a go-to scope is like taking a vacation, sitting in the back of the car with your eyes closed while someone else drives you there, and telling the driver, "just let me know when we get there." isn't the scenery along the way, part of the vacation?

I think that an ordinary beginner scope, plus a good star-hopping guidebook, is a lot better.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Jones" <timj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>