[pasmembers] Re: Night Sky Training Event - Great Ideas

  • From: Terri <cosmicstarstuff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Alex Vrenios <doctorv@xxxxxxx>, PAS ListServ <pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 14:52:55 -0800 (PST)

Alex

Welcome to the list serv! We are glad to have you!

The scavenger hunt idea....
Are you thinking doing it for kids? For PAS members only?
for the public?
We did, a few years ago, what we called a Treasure Hunt.
And as long as we have enough scopes to do it, we have
one scope per object at a public event, and have an object
list set up ahead of time, and the public, kids only, go
from scope to scope, learning something about each object,
viewing it, taking notes to prove they saw it and then
they use their notes to answer questions I ask about
the objects before i award the end prize.
We were doing that at school until I started the Q & A.
And we do have 3 PAS t-shirts left that we can use
as prizes to the first three who finish the Treasure Hunt.
I don't' mind doing it.

What we did was use the page that is on our site
for the treasure hunt that has different objects. They are generic,
and each telescope picks what their scope can show the best
and stay on that object until the Treasure hunt ends, or unless they
want to move to another object that is similar. Like from a Nebula
to a Nebula is fine, but stay on Nebula if that is what you are assigned.
Wanna see the page I'm referring to, go to this link:

http://www.pasaz.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=81

Now the question is, are we doing this for PAS members only?
or for the public? If for the public, for kids only, to win a prize.
It's been years since we did this treasure hunt for the public.
But it does give the kids something to do and they have to take notes
because they don't' know what their last question will be that I ask them,
in order for them to win the prize.

I do Q & A now. I ask questions while at schools, and the kids in line
at my scope, answer, and the correct answers get a prize that is related
to the question, and wrong answers, we discuss the answer.

But i can do a treasure hunt at a school if you think it is a good idea.
But i can't do my scope and the treasure hunt at the same time, it
requires more effort than the Q & A, which i have been doing
for the last 2 years, successfully, and running my scope at the same time.

Have a super day Alex,

Visit the P.A.S. Blog & My Facebook Page
Visit my Music Page: Private Music Instructor