[pasmembers] Re: NSTS "Homework" - Potluck is moved to 6:30pm

  • From: Terri <starstuff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PAS Members ListServ <pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 17:34:07 -0700

About potlucks - in answer to Don's question

Remember the rule of thumb to any potluck is bring enough for everyone in
your party, if they were only eating that food for a full meal, meaning, if
all you have is cupcakes... how many cupcakes will it take to make a meal
of it. not one... a hungry person will eat 2 or 3 as a meal, to fill them
selves up. So, 3 cupcakes per person in your party, plus one person extra
is the rule of thumb for how much food to bring to a potluck.

Now the quantity of food is covered with 1 person and 6 cupcakes, following
the rule above.
But then there is also the fact that cupcakes are not a main dish. Main
dish is something with a meat, or meat substitute such as tofu, and /
or some veggies like a casserole.
If i weren't bringing pizza, i'd say that a main dish would be a rotisserie
chicken. And since there are 2 of us in our party, William and me, i need
to bring enough to feed 3 people, so i could bring a rotisserie chicken and
tub of potato salad. That would cover the amount of food needed to feed 3
people.

Now if you didn't want to bring a meat, you could bring a tub of potato
salad and a tub of cole slaw and maybe a bread, and that would feed 3
people, not a very healty dinner but it would feed them.

But for a diabetic, I can't have any of those, officially, except the cole
slaw.. the potato salad is a starch and so is the bread, and shouldn't'
be eaten in large quantities by a diabetic.

This is my 2 cents on how potlucks should be.
And that's why we have Perfect Potluck.
If 1/3 of the attendees at the potluck bring a main dish, then the rest
could bring side dishes.

William said he has an idea on how to resolve the potluck food problem and
wants to talk about it at the next MOM's. Hope you attend to give your 2
cents.

Terri

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 5:28 PM, Terri <starstuff@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> eat that whole tub by yourself, you haven't brought enough to share. But if
> you bring a tub of potato salad, a tub of cole slaw, and maybe some bread,
> you've covered the AMOUNT of food requested.
>
> Think about what you are bringing and what you will be eating. How much
> food do you eat as your main meal of the day? And can you survive that
> whole night of viewing on so little food, or such junk food if cupcakes is
> all you bring to share.
>
> We can always use bread for a side, and other sides. But if we don't have
> at least 1/3 of the attendance bringing main dishes, we won't have enough
> good food to go around.
>
> I'm sorry, you hit a nerve on that question, Don. Didn't mean to go on
> about it but the past several potlucks have been so little food that a
> diabetic can eat, that i actually have been hungry but not able to eat
> anything else due to it. Which is when Terri gets crabby and grouchy.
> Hunger can turn everyone into a grumpy person. And yes, the diabetic i am
> talking about it me. Diabetics are not supposed to be eating cake, dessert,
> candy...
>
> The more sugar a diabetic takes in, along with not being a healthy thing
> to eat, the worse they feel.
>
> I'm not the only one disappointed in the food quantity and quality at the
> last several potlucks. I'm just willing to voice my opinion. So, rotisserie
> chicken, only $6 at most stores, is a great thing to bring along. I love it
> when Sam brings a whole meal from KFC, even though i can't eat the chicken
> because it has MSG, but i can eat the sides, and they are delicious. Or a
> big sub sandwich, or something you made at home, or a boxed meal such as
> what Bob Senzer brings, are all decent ideas of main dishes and it feeds
> more than 1 person if everyone takes a small amount to taste. A small
> amount of this and that, will add nicely to a meal.
>
> I have been wondering? How does everyone stay healthy if they eat the junk
> food that comes to the potlucks on a daily basis, or is this your excuse to
> eat foods that aren't healthy for you? I'm just curious. William and I do
> not eat pizza all the time, but we do bring it to the potluck because it is
> easier clean up at the end of the potluck for us. And usually, there are no
> left overs.
>
> so, you got my 2 cents on how our potlucks haven't been all that great
> lately. If i'm going to buy 2 pizzas for $20+, i would expect that everyone
> else is providing some food for the event, as well. We are tired of being
> the main meal. And sometimes the only meal, like the last event had 2
> chickens to go with the pizza. one of which had msg so i couldn't eat it.
>
> Terri
>

> On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 5:12 PM, Don Boyd <azphotog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Are you really saying that everybody who comes to the potluck has to
>> bring enough to feed 10 people...we could feed a small army with that much

Visit the P.A.S. Facebook