[pasmembers] Looking for input about Black Mountain campus events for 2013

  • From: Terri <cosmicstarstuff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 22:24:34 -0700 (PDT)

PAS Members,

Happy Monday evening,

I am surprised. I'm going through my email and no one has commented on
the upcoming dates, and moving them to better dates, or leaving them as they
are for the Black Mountain Campus events.

Input is requested and appreciated.
Do you want the dates I've scheduled?
Or do you want ones that are closer to the 3rd Quarter Moon
whereby you would have more dark skies, & less moon?
No input and I'll just make the decision.

I'm asking for planning of events help. Take a look at a calendar
and tell me, based on what you see in this email, what dates you would
pick for the months I have planned the Black Mountain campus
dates. I need to give this list to Jenny soon. I'm waiting on input.

Thanks so much, in advance.

Visit the P.A.S. Blog & My Facebook
Private Music Instructor, Ascent Vending Company
Healthy, Wealthy & Wise with Acai Berry

>________________________________

star parties.  The viewing at the main campus wasn’t so good when I
joined last October, and has deteriorated noticeably since then.  Also,
last quarter is much better than first quarter because of the rise/set times –
at last quarter the moon rises around 10:30 pm; at first quarter it rises
during the day and sets midnight or later…  In fact, from about
three days after full, until three or four days after the new moon, the viewing
is pretty good.

>>Eric
>>

>>________________________________

9:39 AM
>>To: PAS ListServ
>>Subject: [pasmembers] looking for
input about events for 2013

>>Good
morning PAS Members & Jenny,

>>I am
working on the 2012 / 2013 season of events.

>>Here's
my question:

>>How many Black  Mountain Campus star
parties do you want to do?

>>What we
usually do for PVCC Main campus is:

>>1
Indoor / outdoor astro event per semester w/Star Party (fall & spring)
>>A MOM
on every last Thursday of those months
>>A PAS
Meeting every 1st Thursday of those months
>>Telescope
Workshops, where we can fit them w/Star Party

>>Then,
what we did, was move all the "Just" Star Parties from the
>>Main
Campus to Black Mountain . We kept, this year, the rest
of
>>the
activities at the Main Campus so we'd have G-147 nearby to use.

>>So do we want to stick to 1 Black Mountain
Campus star party
>>each semester, or
would I have the attendance needed if
>>I put
in 2 of those events, in one semester, if the moon phase
>>was
just right?

>>Anddo we want those events on 1st Quarter moon, or do we
>>prefer
to have them at New or 3rd Quarter since we love how
>>dark it
is in that location?

>>Remember,
all events at PVCC Main or Black Mountain Campus are on
>>Thursdays.
>>
>>Here's
what i have so far:

>>Spring
2013

>>January
has
>>1 PAS
meeting
>>1
Telescope Workshop - main campus
>>1 MOM
>>
>>Feb has
>>1 PAS
meeting
>>PVCCBlack Mountainstar party
>>1
Telescope Workshop - main campus
>>1 MOM
>>That
fills all Thursdays' in February

>>March
has
>>1 PAS
Meeting
>>1
Telescope Workshop - Main Campus
>>1
Indoor astro event
>>1 MOM
>>That
fills all Thursdays in March

>>April
has - another Thursday filled month
>>1 PAS
Meeting
>>1
Telescope Workshop - main Campus
>>1 PVCC Black  Mountain star party
>>1 MOM
>>
>>May has
>>1 PAS
Meeting
>>1
Telescope Workshop - Main Campus
>>1 Black Mountain
Campus
>>1 MOM
>>
>>That's
3 Black Mountain star parties in one semester.
Do we have
>>the
people who will want to cover this event and do you want it on
>>which
phase of the moon. I can shift these around if necessary.
>>And i
didn't list them in the order I'm putting them in the calendar,
>>it is
random.

>>When I
used to send out the event list, which included all public and private
>>events,
I"d get back, from the public, that we didn't have many public events,
>>and
they wanted more events they could attend. So, I quit sending the public,
>>the
private events as well, and cut their list to just public events. That solved
the
>>problem
for a while. Now I"m being told I need to have events in Tempe and
>>Chandlerand Mesa . I'm ignoring that
request. Anyway, the way to do public
>>outreach,
is have more public events. And the PVCC Black Mountain
star party
>>seems
to be a big hit! If you don't mind several of them in a semester, with
>>the
knowledge that bad weather could wipe them out, then I'd like to have
>>more of
them available for the public. Just my thought.

>>Plus
all Telescope Workshops at PVCC main Campus are star parties, and the
>>Indoor Astro events are also Star Parties. That covers just about 1000% of
>>our
>>activities with PVCC are public. The MOM"s is public but we don't
usually get that
>>many
public attending, however, that is how we got a few of our members.

>>Fall
Semester 2013

>>September
has
>>1 PAS
meeting
>>1
Telescope Workshop - main campus
>>1
Indoor Event
>>NO MOM
>>
>>October
has
>>1 PAS
meeting
>>1 Black Mountain
star party
>>1
Telescope workshop
>>NO MOM
>>
>>November
currently has
>>1 PAS
Meeting

>>December
has
>>1 PAS
Meeting

>>Your
input is requested.
>>I'm
open for suggestions.

>>Thanks
for your input.
>>Terri,
Event Coordinator

>>Good friends are like stars. You don't always
>>see them, but you always know they are there.
>>Terri Phoenix Astronomical
Society Event Coordinator
>>Visit the P.A.S.
Blog & My Facebook
>>Private
Music Instructor, Ascent Vending Company
>>Healthy, Wealthy & Wise
with Acai Berry