[pasmembers] Re: Life Beyond Earth

  • From: CenturyLink Customer <primefactory@xxxxx>
  • To: pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 12:43:11 -0400 (EDT)

Had to put my two cents in. O nce the sun ignited it has varied little in
output. I nside of Jupiter's orbit we have asteroids and zodiacal light which
is dust not ices because of the stellar wind and light intensit ies. Even now
this slowly strip s rocky planets of their atmospheres and left  only  the hea
vier gases (no H & He) .  Comets begin to sublimate when they get closer than
Jupiter and quickly lose their mass. Objects like the Earth are a very small
target. The m ost important point against comets is because they formed outside
our solar system they have isotopic ratios that do not match terrestrial
values. Only Io is too hot to have ice of all  the moons of the gas giants.
Isotope ratios of ice on these moons  are much closer to terrestrial values.
Asteroids beyond Jupiter are also ice covered but not as thick as these moons.
These satellites had close encounters with other moons  that reversed the
orbits of the smaller moon and would eject the more massive moon. I have given
lectures on how the Earth was struck 1.8 billion years ago in the Pacific by a
moon of Neptune that had a thick layer of ice and hydrocarbons that made it as
large as Mars. You can double the amount of water the Earth has because the
Moho is a buried mineralized  ocean that is still trying to reach the surface
through volcanics.

Mike Marron