[pasmembers] Re: Flagstaff Festival of Science

  • From: Howard Moneta <hmoneta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PAS Members ListServ <pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 23:18:06 +0000

Here are the details from the events calendar for telescope tours:

Interferometer Tour - Festival of Science
9 – 10:30 a.m., Meet at Lowell Observatory on Mars Hill
10:30 – Noon, Meet at Lowell Observatory on Mars Hill
The Navy Precision Optical Interferometer (NPOI) is a telescope capable of
extremely high-precision measurements. Learn about this unique telescope
and the research being conducted with it on an astronomer-led tour of the
NPOI facility. Participants will car pool to Anderson Mesa in Lowell
Observatory vehicles.

I reserved a spot for the 9am on Sept. 27th tour. It leaves from Lowell
Observatory. You can call Lowell at 928-233-3280 to make a reservation.

I inquired about Discovery Channel Telescope (DCT) tours. I was told that
there will not be a Discovery Channel Telescope tour as part of the Science
Festival. Our club can request a private tour of the DCT. We need to give
Lowell three weeks notice. Max 10 people at $150 per person. We may be
able to negotiate that rate but that is what they quoted over the phone.

My plan is to go out to Flagstaff on both weekends of the festival. The
first weekend will have an interesting keynote on Friday night and a star
party on Saturday night. The second weekend will be the NPOI tour and
whatever else I can fit in on Saturday.

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 2:02 PM Terri <starstuff@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Enjoy your trip to Flag Festival of Science and this star party.
We were going to do something for International Observe the Moon night at
MIke's, but he is out of town this date. So, i canceled PAS's involvement
in IOMN this year for PAS. Go have fun in Flagstaff!
Terri

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 9:48 AM, insanas <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Howard, I emailed Ed again about doing the Sat night star party and
asked for passes for the DCT and I am waiting to hear back from him. I told
him I don' need housing. I also called the phone number on the
scifest.org program and I made reservations for the NPOI on Sunday
morning Sept 27th at 9 am for my wife, son and myself. I will let you know
if I hear from Ed about the DCT. Let me know if you hear anything. Thanks,
Sam

From: Howard Moneta <hmoneta@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 8:13 PM
Subject: Re: Flagstaff Star Party
To: Edwin Roy Anderson <Ed.Anderson@xxxxxxx>

Hi Ed, thanks for the follow up. I have asked other in the Phoenix club
to let me know what schedule would work for them. I think Saturday night's
star party is probably what we will be able to attend.

The NPOI tours that I found on the schedule are the following Sunday the
27th. Are there any other telescope tours on the first weekend of the
festival? I don't see any listings on the schedule for the Discovery
Channel Telescope.

Thanks,
Howard Moneta

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 8:36 AM Edwin Roy Anderson <Ed.Anderson@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
Hi Howard,

We are having a meeting later today. I hope to hear which hotel(s) are
providing lodging, and then I can forward that to the telescope hosts.
If you can send me names, email, what nights they wish to participate,
whether lodging is required, and which of the DCT/NPOI tours they want,
that would be great.
Or have them email me directly.
Thanks,
-- Ed

****************************************************************** Ed
Anderson, M.Sc. Email: Ed.Anderson@xxxxxxx
Support Systems Analyst, Pr. Phone: (928) 523-7096 Dept. of
Physics and Astronomy FAX: (928) 523-1371 Northern Arizona
University Cell: (928) 310-8092 NAU Box 6010, Bldg. 19,
Rm 209 Flagstaff, AZ, 86011-6010 Home Page:
http://www.physics.nau.edu/~anderson Staff Astronomer, NURO,
http://www.nuro.nau.edu

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 9:10 PM insanas <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Howard, on Aug 1st you sent out an email about an 8-1-15 communication
from a Michael Poppre of SAC saying that Ed Anderson NAU was wanting
telescopes for the Flag Star Party and that he was offering tours of the
DCT and the NPOI. I then asked Ed in an email about the DCT and I never
heard back from him. I would like to bring my 8 inch telescope for Sat
night Sept 19th, but would like to tour the DCT with my wife and son. Could
you ask Ed about the DCT tours. If he doesn't respond, maybe you could ask
Michael Poppre of SAC? Or, since you are a member of Lowell, maybe you
could ask Lowell if members of PAS could arrange a tour of the DCT? Let me
know of any progress asap. Thanks, Sam