[pasmembers] Re: Election of Secretary, not Appointment

  • From: Don Boyd <azphotog@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 13:31:47 -0700

We have not had the position of Secretary since the redrawing of the bylaws
as a constitution.

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 1:28 PM, Terri <starstuff@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

OK so let's hold the meeting tomorrow at Mikes to create the Secretary
position, of which I thought PAS already had this position and the Vice
Prez has always done it, and then vote in a member to take the position.
Does this fit the situation?

Sent from my TARDIS via my Samsung Galaxy S5 Android Phone complete with
typos for your enjoyment.
On Jul 10, 2015 1:06 PM, "Don Boyd" <azphotog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Terry was wrong we cannot vote on this...I corrected Terry on this. We
cannot call a special meeting to hold an election for a position which does
not exist. After the meeting to create the position THEN and ONLY then can
we call a special meeting to elect a member to this position. This a quote
from the bylaws of PAS.:"Article 5 Section e. Vacated Office: If any
office is vacated, either in-term or due to lack of a candidate for
succes­sion, the President (or acting-President) shall assume
responsibility for the duties of that office. The President (or
acting-President) may retain these duties, or delegate them in accordance
with Article 3, paragraph f, *or may call a Special Meeting for the
purpose of nominating and electing a replacement for the vacated office. *

*By common sense the meeting could*

*Sam I am not trying to userpt the members right to vote for a position.
I am trying to uphold *

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 12:28 PM, Redacted sender insanas@xxxxxxx for
DMARC <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Don, I have to strongly disagree with you. On June 9, 2015, PAS members
were given notice of a special meeting on July 11th. This was done by
Terri, who at the time was and is Vice President of PAS. This was done
through the PAS website, and her announcement stated: "The Special Meeting
is to edit the PAS By-laws to add a Secretary position, *and then to
vote in a Secretary*." According to PAS Bylaws Article 5 section c.
Any Officer can call a Special Meeting (which vice president Terri did).
Then Article 5 section e. allows for PAS members to vote at such a special
meeting, in person or by proxy. Terri then confirmed through her email
today that we will be voting on whether to add a secretarial position and
then voting for the new secretary. Don, you are mistaken in trying to
cancel the voting process. You are trying to deny our PAS members their
right to vote, which is a denial of substantive and procedural due process.
While officers are usually elected in May, there is nothing in the By-laws
to prevent voting in officers at a special meeting. I plan to vote on Sat
at the MOM for the new secretary position and for the new secretary.
Sam Insana PAS member and President elect