[pasmembers] Re: Election of Secretary, not Appointment

  • From: William Finch <psychogilgamesh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2015 11:59:12 -0700

The 1974 version of our By-Laws states in ARTICLE II Section B.:

B. Secretary-Treasurer. The Secretary-Treasurer shall be charged with the
responsibility of recording the minutes of each meeting, handling any
necessary correspondence with other societies and organizations, collecting
all Society dues, maintaining proper records of paid members,maintaining
proper records of the custody and disbursement of all Society funds, and
the payment of subscription orders for the magazine Sky and Telescope, to
which all members are entitled upon payment of dues. All disbursements of
Society funds shall be made by check and all checks shall require the
signatures of both the Secretary-Treasurer and President.

However, the 2012 By-Laws is missing this verbiage. It just has Treasurer.
For some reason I can't copy from the 2nd pdf but it's avail at
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=188

I don't recall a reason for this change. I do, at one time recall arguing
with Dan that a meeting review isn't the same as minutes, but the officers
disagreed with me as a member. Oddly, if we had proper meeting minutes
recorded from a Secretary, we'd have record of when the change occurred.

On Jul 10, 2015 10:05 PM, "Don Boyd" <azphotog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This what the law says in ARS 10-3724 B, c, and d:"B. Unless the articles
of incorporation or bylaws prohibit or limit proxy voting, a member may
appoint a proxy to vote or otherwise act for the member by signing an
appointment form, either personally or by the member's attorney-in-fact.

C. An appointment of a proxy is effective on receipt by the secretary or
other officer or agent authorized to tabulate votes. An appointment is
valid for eleven months unless a different period is expressly provided in
the appointment form.

D. An appointment of a proxy is revocable by the member unless the
appointment form conspicuously states that it is irrevocable and the
appointment is coupled with an interest. Appointments coupled with an
interest include the appointment of any of the following:"

According to this we need to have a form for people who want to vote by
proxy. Upon further review of the law on email sigs it looks an email can
be a legal document...but a fax or letter is still better.

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 9:41 PM, Terri <starstuff@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don't have a fax. But an email, you see where it came from, who sent
it, couldn't that count?

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 9:26 PM, Don Boyd <azphotog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Email is questionable at best. a fax would be OK, as that has an actual
signature and is very difficult to alter. There are reasons why businesses
still have fax numbers. Also all proxies should be turned into the
Secretary or officer conducting the election.

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 8:43 PM, Terri <starstuff@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Email is in writing. And a reply to the email stating the proxy
situation, couldn't that also work out the same as a proxy by snail mail?

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 7:03 PM, Don Boyd <azphotog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I checked the bylaws and we can notify the members of a special
meeting by email, but not vote by email, also according to state law, all
proxies need to be in writing. It should also state for which election it
is good for and say only for that specific election, or for a specific
time
frame

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 6:30 PM, Terri <starstuff@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don't see why we can't amend the bylaws via email vote, almost all
PAS members are on the list serve. Didn't we ammend the Constitution to
allow for voting via electronic means?

Sent from my TARDIS via my Samsung Galaxy S5 Android Phone complete
with typos for your enjoyment.
On Jul 10, 2015 2:46 PM, "Don Boyd" <azphotog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sam is not acting President...the Vice is acting president. And
there is no position of Secretary in the bylaws of the club the only
way to
add one by amending the bylaws...this cannot by email email.

Since Sam is acting president, Sam can most likely, thru this
email, appoint a Secretary position to be added to the By-laws.
Couldn't he
do that now, in writing to the club members on this list serv? And
then,
tomorrow we vote in the new Secretary, of which there are 2 of us
running
for this position. I must say, I"m glad we have other interested
members.
Thank you. So, you will be voting on either Kevin Witts or Terri Finch
as
Secretary of the Club. May the best candidate Win. Kevin and I have
discussed this and it doesn't' matter who takes the position, we will
work
together to make PAS a better club for all. But please, feel free to
put in
your vote by Proxy if you can not attend tomorrow's Business meeting.

Does anyone else want to run for Secretary of PAS? It is open to
any current PAS Member. I wasn't saying that only Kevin or Terri are
able
to be elected to the position.

So, Sam, can we have you create the Secretary position? Is that how
it works? And then Don can edit the By-laws to show we have a Secretary
position (which should have already been in the by-laws) and then from
there, tomorrow's meeting will occur.

I appreciate everyone's input on this.

I have to leave now to go Teach. Have a super afternoon. I May or
may not be in my email again until morning when i look to see who left
Proxy votes for me to tally, before tomorrow night's meeting.

Have a super weekend! Everyone.
Terri, Event Coordinator

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 1:38 PM, Redacted sender insanas@xxxxxxx
for DMARC <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Don, Terri has just indicated that we will vote on both issues,
creation of the sec position and then vote for the new secretary. No
one
wants you to resign. You are a fine editor and an asset to the club. I
don't believe your duties require adjudicating disputes of the bylaws.
However, all PAS members are allowed to review them and can have
their own
opinion. After looking at your opinion and mine, I am happy to see
that
Terri is going ahead with both votes (assuming the sec position is
created). Sam