[pasmembers] Re: Ask PAS

  • From: <johnmartha72@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 16:56:30 -0400

I like what everyone else has said on this topic.  If I might add my own
perspective, I value astronomy because when it comes to the most basic things
in our universe, most of what we think we know through our common sense proves
to be misguided or wrong, particularly when it comes to cosmology, time,
quantum physics etc.

The most profound growth in wisdom comes from what you learn when your world
view is forced to change, rather than from simply tweaking what you already
knew.  There are few areas of learning that do this more effectively than
astronomy.

You may learn this in astronomy, but the lessons are broadly applicable.
Mental flexibility and the willingness to question “what everyone knows to be
true” are invaluable for growth in many other areas of life and learning.
John (Miller)