Pallium India Newsletter: September 2012

  • From: Pallium India Newsletter <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "" <palliumindia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 12:55:19 +0000

Pallium India
Care Beyond Cure

* ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *
! September 2012 !
* ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *
http://palliumindia.org/?p=2240
September 30, 2012

DEAR FRIENDS,

IN MEMORIUM: DR MANMI TALUKDAR

        On 25 September 2012, Dr Manmi Talukdar, a budding Palliative care
physician from Assam, succumbed to Hodgkin
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hodgkin] lymphoma within 2 months of diagnosis.

        She was inspiring and loved by all. As Dr Dinesh Chandra Goswami, the
founder of the Guahati Pain and Palliative Care Society, writes, the palliative
care scene in India _“has been bereaved by the irreparable loss of this noble
soul”_.

MAY HER SOUL REST IN PEACE.

        -

JOIN US IN TRIVANDRUM FOR WORLD PALLIATIVE CARE DAY: 13 OCTOBER 2012
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2012/09/JOIN-US-IN-TRIVANDRUM-FOR-WORLD-PALLIATIVE-CARE-DAY-13-OCTOBER-2012/]

         [http://www.worldday.org/] A number of people who are ordinarily
confined to wheelchairs or to beds will have a day of outing to celebrate World
Palliative Care Day on 13 October 2012 [http://www.worldday.org/] in
Shankumugham beach [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shankumugham_Beach]  at
Trivandrum.

        The location was their choice – many said they had not seen the sea in
many many years, and one young lady said, she wanted to feel the sea on her
feet just once more. Many volunteers are joining to make it all happen, and our
physiotherapist Sunaj has been fully immersed in the work for quite some time.
Magician Nath is going to perform for them. it is his donation to the cause.

COME, JOIN THEM ON A DAY OF FUN AND ENJOYMENT.

        -

PROMISING DEVELOPMENTS ON ACCESS TO OPIOIDS IN INDIA
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2012/09/PROMISING-DEVELOPMENTS-ON-ACCESS-TO-OPIOIDS-IN-INDIA/]

        As the Ministries of Revenue and Health are gearing up for an amendment
to the Narcotics and Psychotropic Substances Act of India
[http://narcoticsindia.nic.in/NDPSACT.htm] to simplify it and to improve access
to opioids for pain relief, there is mounting public awareness about the issue.
The Times of India reports: "

[HTTP://TIMESOFINDIA.INDIATIMES.COM/INDIA/MORPHINE-RULES-MAY-BE-EASED-FOR-TERMINALLY-ILL/ARTICLESHOW/16360481.CMS]
 ‘WE WANT TO MAKE END OF THE TERMINALLY ILL PAINLESS’
[HTTP://TIMESOFINDIA.INDIATIMES.COM/INDIA/MORPHINE-RULES-MAY-BE-EASED-FOR-TERMINALLY-ILL/ARTICLESHOW/16360481.CMS]

        NEW DELHI: The availability of morphine — the cheapest and most
effective painkiller — may soon be relaxed for medical use, helping reduce
acute and chronic pain suffered by terminally ill cancer and HIV patients.

        [...]

        [Joint secretary Shakuntala Gamlin] added, “The Act needs to be relaxed
and amended. We are studying international protocols to make the Act as patient
friendly as possible.”

        Dr M R Rajagopal, chairman of Pallium India and a part of the panel,
says at least 20 lakh people need morphine but aren’t getting it.

        “Paradoxically, India is supplying opium to the whole world but our own
people are dying because of misapprehensions. Two most important barriers to
availability of morphine are the complicated narcotic regulations and
generations of doctors having no education or exposure to it,” Dr Rajagopal
said.

         READ MORE AT THE TIMES OF INDIA…
[HTTP://TIMESOFINDIA.INDIATIMES.COM/INDIA/MORPHINE-RULES-MAY-BE-EASED-FOR-TERMINALLY-ILL/ARTICLESHOW/16360481.CMS]
 "

IT IS HEARTENING THAT THE MEDIA IS SUPPORTING THE ISSUE AND IMPROVING PUBLIC
AWARENESS.

        -

INDIAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS AND PALLIATIVE CARE
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2012/09/INDIAN-ACADEMY-OF-PEDIATRICS-AND-PALLIATIVE-CARE/]

        The Trivandrum branch of Indian Academy of Pediatrics
[http://www.iapindia.org/] initiated an annual oration award in memory of the
late Professor Omana Mathew, a doyen of Pediatrics who was known for her
sincerity, integrity and leadership.

        The first “DR OMANA MATHEW ORATION” was delivered on 6 September 2012
by Dr M.R.Rajagopal, the chairman of Pallium India.

        We are very happy to note that the joint palliative care clinic run by
Departments of Pediatrics and Pediatric Neurology of Trivandrum Medical College
in collaboration with Pallium India is nearing one year of active functioning.
Pallium India thanks the Trivandrum branch of Indian Academy of Pediatrics for
making Palliative Care the subject of the first oration named after Professor
Omana Mathew.

        We also thank Professor Lalitha Kailas, the Head of Pediatrics,
Professor Mohammed Kunju, the head of Pediatric Neurology, Professor Elizabeth,
the medical superintendent of S.A.T Hospital and Dr Kalpana and Dr Hariprasad
of the departments of Pediatric Neurology and Pediatrics for their initiative
and leadership in Pediatric Palliative Care. Pallium India’s palliative care
team, with Dr Sithara Raman heading the medical services, Ms Dinu heading
nursing services, Mr Babykutty leading the volunteers and Mr Sunaj, the
physiotherapist doing exemplary work with children, deserve appreciation.

        -

ROTARIANS DISCUSS PALLIATIVE CARE
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2012/09/ROTARIANS-DISCUSS-PALLIATIVE-CARE/]

         [http://www.rotarycluboftrivandrum.com/] The Rotary Club of Trivandrum
Suburban [http://www.rotarycluboftrivandrum.com/] had a discussion on another
facet of palliative care, this time on _“CARING FOR THE ILL IN YOUR OWN
FAMILY”_ – what to say, what not to say, what to do and what not to do.

        The club has been a staunch supporter of palliative care and Pallium
India is very grateful to them. At the end of the session, twenty Rotarians
gave in their pledges for Pallium India’s “Share to Care”
[http://palliumindia.org/sharetocare/] program – offering to share something
for the less privileged when they celebrate a birthday, an anniversary or
another event or when they observe the death anniversary of a dear one.

        Thank you Mr NRU Kartha, president of Rotary Club of Trivandrum
Suburban, and all members of the Club for your kind gesture.

IF ANY OF OUR READERS WOULD CARE TO JOIN THE “CARE TO SHARE PROGRAM” PLEASE
VISIT PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/SHARETOCARE [HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/SHARETOCARE/]

        -

FELLOWSHIP IN PALLIATIVE MEDICINE AT CHRISTIAN MEDICAL COLLEGE, VELLORE
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2012/09/FELLOWSHIP-IN-PALLIATIVE-MEDICINE-AT-CHRISTIAN-MEDICAL-COLLEGE-VELLORE/]

         [http://www.cmch-vellore.edu/] Applications are invited for the
POSTGRADUATE FELLOWSHIP IN PALLIATIVE MEDICINE offered by Christian Medical
College, Vellore [http://www.cmch-vellore.edu/] .
        * It is a one year, stipendary, full time course for MBBS doctors;
accommodation will be provided.
        * The last date to download the application form
[http://home.cmcvellore.ac.in/admissions/admin.htm ] is 20TH OCTOBER 2012
        * Last date of submission of filled application form is 26TH OCTOBER
2012 Click here to visit the CMC website
[http://home.cmcvellore.ac.in/admissions/admin.htm] for more details: Click on
Post Doctoral/Graduate Fellowship Admission 2013, Download Bulletin & Download
Application. The code number for the course is F 36, Palliative Medicine.

        -

DR SUSHMA BHATNAGAR RECEIVES IASP EXCELLENCE AWARD
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2012/09/DR-SUSHMA-BHATNAGAR-RECEIVES-IASP-EXCELLENCE-AWARD/]

        Dr Sushma Bhatnagar, received the prestigious “ IASP AWARD FOR
EXCELLENCE IN PAIN RESEARCH AND MANAGEMENT IN DEVELOPING COUNTRIES
[http://www.iasp-pain.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Congress_Related_Grants1&Template=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=1556]
 ” for her work in ‘CLINICAL RESEARCH OR PRACTICE AND/OR POLICY CHANGES IN PAIN
MANAGEMENT‘.

        Dr Bhatnagar is Head of Anaesthesiology, Pain and Palliative Care
at Institute-Rotary Cancer Hospital
[http://www.aiims.edu/aiims/departments/spcenter/IRCH/Anaesthesia/IntroAnae.htm]
  (IRCH), All India Institute of Medical Sciences [http://www.aiims.edu/]
(AIIMS), New Delhi.

        The award was presented
[http://twitter.com/IASPCongress/statuses/241510498393276416] at the 14th World
Congress on Pain
[http://www.iasp-pain.org/Content/NavigationMenu/WorldCongressonPain2/14thWorldCongressonPain/default.htm]
 in Milan, Italy, August 27-31,2012.

        -

LIFE BEFORE DEATH RECEIVES ANOTHER AWARD!
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2012/09/LIFE-BEFORE-DEATH-RECEIVES-ANOTHER-AWARD/]

         Moonshine Movies [http://www.moonshineagency.com.au/movies/]  and
Palliative Care Australia [http://www.palliativecare.org.au/]  have received
an  Arts & Health Foundation Award
[http://www.abaf.org.au/arts/abaf-awards/abaf-awards-2012-in-victoria.html] –
State Winner in the  Australian Business Arts Foundation Awards
[http://www.abaf.org.au]  for the “ LIFE BEFORE DEATH
[HTTP://WWW.LIFEBEFOREDEATH.COM/] ” movie.

_Above: Yvonne Luxford, CEO, Palliative Care Australia; Deborah Mills, Director
Policy & Strategy, Arts & Health Foundation; Sue Collins, Moonshine Movies;
Mike Hill, Moonshine Movies._

         Arts & Health Foundation [http://www.artshealthfoundation.org.au/]
Award is _“For partnerships between healthcare organisations and businesses,
and arts or cultural organisations that improve the health and wellbeing of
individuals, groups or a community.”_

THIS IS THE PROJECT’S 5TH AWARD TO DATE. CONGRATULATIONS MIKE AND SUE!

        -

EXCELLENT NEWS FROM TRICHY, TAMIL NADU
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2012/09/EXCELLENT-NEWS-FROM-TRICHY-TAMIL-NADU/]

         [http://www.mohfw.nic.in/NRHM.htm] The National Rural Health Mission
[http://www.mohfw.nic.in/NRHM.htm] (NRHM) and the Government of Tamil Nadu
[http://tnhealth.org/] join hands with SUDARSHANA PAIN RELIEF AND PALLIATIVE
CARE SERVICE to survey the district
[http://www.mohfw.nic.in/NRHM/State%20Files/tamilnadu.htm] , identify the needy
patients and to provide palliative care to them.

        Sudarshana Pain Relief and Palliative Care Service was founded by DR
MOHANASUNDARAM who organized the national conference of the Indian Association
of Palliative Care [http://www.palliativecare.in/] a few years back.

        The NRHM has been very active in palliative care in Kerala
[http://arogyakeralam.gov.in/] for the last several years.

        It is heartening to see that the movement is spreading far and wide
elsewhere.

HEARTY CONGRATULATIONS TO THE PIONEER, DR MOHANASUNDARAM!

        * Read more at The Hindu: RELIEF FOR TERMINALLY ILL AT DOORSTEP
[HTTP://WWW.THEHINDU.COM/NEWS/CITIES/TIRUCHIRAPALLI/ARTICLE3853985.ECE]

        -

ROYALTY SUPPORTS PALLIATIVE CARE
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2012/09/ROYALTY-SUPPORTS-PALLIATIVE-CARE/]

         [http://hospismalaysia.org/] Dr Ednin Hamza, CEO and medical director
of Hospis Malaysia [http://www.hospismalaysia.org/] informs us about the visit
to Hospis Malaysia
[http://hospismalaysia.org/index.php?p=contents-item&id=10325] by Royalty – the
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge
[http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/personalprofiles/thedukeandduchessofcambridge/]
 .

        Media reports:
        * WASHINGTON POST:  Kate, stresses palliative care for children…
[http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/prince-williams-wife-kate-gives-1st-speech-abroad-stressing-palliative-care-for-children/2012/09/13/df885c36-fd88-11e1-98c6-ec0a0a93f8eb_story.html]

        * THE TELEGRAPH:  Duchess of Cambridge helps terminally-ill boy find
smile again
[http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/the_queens_diamond_jubilee/9540539/Duchess-of-Cambridge-helps-terminally-ill-boy-find-smile-again.html]
  - Full speech [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWKb3c0qfFY]
        * MALAYSIA’A STAR ONLINE:  It’s Prince Charming himself
[http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/9/15/nation/12034291&sec=nation]

        * Watch the video produced by  EACH
[http://www.each.org.uk/about_us/malaysia_tour_each_and_the_duchess_of_cambridge]
 , shown to the Duke & Duchess on our blog.

        -

SOME WELCOME PHARMA NEWS FOR INDIA
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2012/09/SOME-WELCOME-PHARMA-NEWS-FOR-INDIA/]

        In a recent case, The Delhi High Court held that Indian pharmaceutical
company Cipla has not infringed upon
[http://barandbench.com/brief/3/2791/f-hoffman-la-roche-ltd-v-cipla-ltd-expert-analysis]
 the patent right of Swiss drug company F Hoffman La-Roche on a cancer drug.

         Dr B Ekbal [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B._Ekbal] , former Vice
chancellor of Kerala University, informs us about this welcome news which may
have a significant and positive impact on our work: "

        The Delhi High Court took up the first patent case in India under the
patent regime implemented from 2005 onwards. Roche was marketing the drug
Tarceva for management of advanced or metastatic non small cell carcinoma of
lung in India from 2007 onwards. The drug costs Rs 4800 per capsule and Rs.1,
44,000 for one month’s course of treatment. Tarceva is the brand name of
Erlotinib which acts by inhibiting the epidermal growth factor for which Pfizer
holds the original patent from US and European Union Patent Offices. Roche is
licensed by Pfizer to market the drug in India and subsequently got the patent
rights in India in 2007.

        Meanwhile, Cipla announced that they are going to market the generic
version of Erlotinib priced Rs 1600 per capsule i.e. Rs 48,000 for a month’s
treatment. Roche then filed the case arguing that Cipla for violating the rule
48 of the Indian Patent Act which gives exclusive right to the patentee of a
product to prevent any third party from non consensual usage of the product.

        Cipla opposed Roche’s case by invoking rule 3(d) of the Indian Patent
Act to argue that the Erlotinib is not a new drug at all and hence the patent
given to the drug is not valid. This drug is only an improvement of the
existing “prior art” as Quinazoline compound that inhibits growth factor. It is
a derivative of a known compound and hence not patentable under section 3(d) of
the Indian Patent Act. Cipla also pointed out that the patented product is a
derivative of Gefitnib of Astra Seneca for which patent was refused in India on
the ground that the compound was already in public domain.

        The Delhi high court accepted Cipla’s arguments and gave a verdict
against Roche. The Delhi High Court ruling in effect endorsed the validity of
rule 3(d) and hence will have strong positive impact on the Novartis case on
Gleevec – one that is waiting to be heard by the Supreme Court of India."
        * ECONOMIC TIMES: Cipla’s patent win against Roche boosts hopes of
generic drugmakers
[http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2012-09-10/news/33737174_1_patent-infringement-swiss-drugmaker-roche-patent-war]

        -

PARTING SHOT

        Look up the “side effects of chemotherapy”
[http://www.google.com/search?q=side+effects+of+chemotherapy] on the web and
you are likely to find anywhere between 15 to 30 of them listed – along with
the treatment for each. But none of those words might describe what it
_“feels”_ like to go through the process.

        In the most recent New York Times “Well” blog posting,  Suleika Jaouad
[http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/category/voices-2/life/]  describes it day by
day. Not only what she went through, but also what she felt she could do or
would like to do. Like a hug to the girl whom she finds in the next bed.

WHEN YOU INCLUDE “FEELING MISERABLE” AMONG THE SIDE EFFECTS, PERHAPS YOU COULD
INCLUDE “LOVING HUGS AS MANY TIMES A DAY AS POSSIBLE” IN THE “TREATMENT OF SIDE
EFFECTS” COLUMN TOO.

"

LIFE, INTERRUPTED: FIVE DAYS OF CHEMO
[HTTP://WELL.BLOGS.NYTIMES.COM/2012/08/30/LIFE-INTERRUPTED-FIVE-DAYS-OF-CHEMO/?SRC=RECG]

        DAY 1
[http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/30/life-interrupted-five-days-of-chemo/?src=recg]
 No matter what I do — skip breakfast, set multiple alarms or go to sleep early
the night before — I always seem to arrive at the hospital exactly 30 minutes
late for my appointments. Today is Monday, and it’s the first of five straight
days I’ll go to the hospital to receive outpatient chemotherapy injections.
Then I get three weeks off. Then another week of chemo. And so on. My doctors
say this will be my routine for the next year.

        My 30-minute lateness buffer has become so consistent, I’m almost proud
of it. I am on time, but it’s my time. Maybe I’m secretly hoping that if I show
up late enough I’ll just be let off the hook, told I can take the day off. I
set out for the hospital by cab; it’s the only way I can travel, for now,
because with my weak immune system, public transportation is still off limits.

        “Your eyes look red,” Abby says when I finally arrive. She’s one of my
favorite nurses.

        I’m just tired, I begin to tell her, which is true. I haven’t been
sleeping so well lately, a mix of restlessness and staying up late watching
movies. Then all of a sudden I find myself tearing up. Then full-on crying.

        The crying surprises me, but I’ve been feeling down ever since I
learned I would need to start chemotherapy again. Even though my recent biopsy
results show no cancerous cells, my doctors say new research shows that for
patients with high-risk leukemia, preventive chemo may be beneficial after a
bone marrow transplant.

        An attendant comes to the room to tell me that they are ready for me in
the infusion suite. “I’m sorry,” I tell Abby as I start to cry again. “I’m just
really tired.”

READ THE REST HERE…
[HTTP://WELL.BLOGS.NYTIMES.COM/2012/08/30/LIFE-INTERRUPTED-FIVE-DAYS-OF-CHEMO/?SRC=RECG]

"
        * Read Suleika Jaouad’s full LIFE, INTERRUPTED series here…
[http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/category/voices-2/life/]
        * VIDEO – The First 100 Days
[http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/26/life-interrupted-the-first-100-days/]

        -

         [http://palliumindia.org/manifesto]

DON’T FORGET TO SIGN THE  MORPHINE MANIFESTO
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/MANIFESTO] !