Pallium India Newsletter: October 2013

  • From: Pallium India Newsletter <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "" <palliumindia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 16:59:48 +0000

Pallium India
Care Beyond Cure

DEAR FRIENDS,

WHO SAID IT HAS TO BE EASY?

        Most things that are worth doing in life do not come easy. We know it
is going to be a tough call to ensure amendment of the Narcotics Act through
the Parliament, but we are determined to do our best. During the last
fortnight, three of our team – Dr Nandini Vallath, Mr Binod Hariharan and Dr
Shalini Vallabhan, all spent about 4-8 days each in New Delhi on advocacy.
Pallium India’s vice chairman, Ms Poonam Bagai who lives in Delhi, is also at
it constantly.

        We know that many others – Ms Harmala Gupta, Dr Nagesh Simha and Mr
Devesh Malladi are three names that come to mind first – are doing their best
too. We hear that the Parliament is reconvening only on or after the 4th of
December.

        WE SHALL KEEP YOU INFORMED!

        -

ANNUAL CONFERENCE AT HYDERABAD [HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/NEWSLETTER]

        If you are one of those people who want to make plans early, do please
note: The 22nd International Conference of Indian Association of Palliative
Care is going to be held at Hyderabad from 13 to 15 February 2015.

        We are all rather proud of the success of the Hyderabad center. Started
in 2006 as a joint project of INCTR and Pallium India working with the MNJ
Institute of Oncology, the unit has gone from strength to strength, expanding
its activities beyond the confines of that Regional Cancer Center, developing
training programs, pioneering the development of an excellent pediatric
palliative care service and now running a hospice too.

        For details about the conference, please email mnj.palliative@xxxxxxxxx

        -

NEW PALLIATIVE CARE TRAINING CENTRE AT JAIPUR
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/NEWSLETTER]

        Pallium India is very happy to announce a major step forward. The
Department of Palliative Medicine at Bhagwan Mahaveer Cancer Hospital and
Research in Jaipur, Rajasthan, is announcing the starting of its new Training
Centre in collaboration with Pallium India. Please join us in congratulating Dr
Anjum Joad Khan and team on the achievement.

        The first 6 week course for doctors and nurses starts on 25 November
2013. Please contact Dr Anjum Khan Joad – anjumjoad@xxxxxxxxx

        -

WE CELEBRATED WORLD PALLIATIVE CARE DAY
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2013/11/WE-CELEBRATED-WORLD-PALLIATIVE-CARE-DAY/]

        Most of us would never know how it feels to experience the waves
brushing against your feet, when you are paralyzed from the waist down and have
altered sensations. “It is bliss!” was what Sindhu said. 12 october 2013 was
the one day in the year for most of them, in which they had the luxury of
getting out of the four walls that ordinarily confined them.

        The palliative care team at Trivandrum Institute of Palliative Sciences
led by 109 patients, many of them wheel-chair-bound, celebrated World
Palliative Care Day at the seaside palliative care facility at Fathima
Hospital, Thumpa.  The event was jointly organized by Pallium India and Fathima
Hospital, Thumpa. Volunteer students from Malankara Catholic College, Mar
Ivanios College and Mar Baselios Engineering College helped to transport the
patients and to look after them.

        The well-known mimicry artiste Kalabhavan George Eloor and cine artist
Mr. Krishna Balakrishna entertained the audience.

        -

2 DAY REFRESHER COURSE IN PAIN AND PALLIATIVE MEDICINE AT TRIVANDRUM
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/COURSES/2-DAY-REFRESHER-COURSE-IN-PAIN-AND-PALLIATIVE-MEDICINE-AT-TRIVANDRUM/]

        Pallium India’s Trivandrum Institue of Palliative Sciences (TIPS) and
Pain Clinic, Sree Chitra Thirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology
(SCTIMST) Trivandrum welcome you to a 2 day Refresher Course in Pain and
Palliative Medicine at Trivandrum.

        The objective is to update knowledge and skills in Palliative Medicine,
to exchange experiences with peers, to keep abreast of the latest advances in
the subjects and to create the culture of learning and self development.
(Considering the feedbacks from our Delhi course in 2012, we have included more
practical sessions this time.)

        DATE : 7-8 DECEMBER, 2013

        Venue : Auditorium 2, SCTIMST, Medical College Campus, Trivandrum-11.

        Eligibility : Doctors who have had a minimum of 10 days’ practical
hands-on training in Palliative medicine are invited.

        Faculty :
        * Dr. Odette Spruyt, Melbourne
        * Dr. M.R. Rajagopal, Trivandrum
        * Dr. Rajashree Suresh, Calicut
        * Dr. Charu Singh, Cochin
        * Dr. Ajmal, Thalassery

        How to apply : Please click on the following link to go to the
application page. Before applying keep a Cheque /DD of Rs. 1,000/-
(registration fee) in favour of “Pallium India” payable at Trivandrum ready.
You will be asked to enter the details of Cheque/DD to complete the application
process.

         Application Form
[https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1MnVLY6yc1ryDM44-XVYgRNWApmrLArUZRy0E9vZORW0/viewform]

        Registration fee : Rs. 1,000/-

        Last date for Application : October 31, 2013

        Contact : Dr. Abu Laize C.B, 9746745499, apm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:apm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]

        Number of seats : To encourage interaction, we are forced to limit the
number of participants to 30.

        Welcome and Happy Learning – Organising Committee

        -

SOORYA FESTIVAL DEDICATES MS. SHOBANA’S DANCE RECITAL TO PALLIATIVE CARE
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2013/10/SOORYA-FESTIVAL-DEDICATES-MS-SHOBANAS-DANCE-RECITAL-TO-PALLIATIVE-CARE/]

        Soorya festival is the longest and one of the most prestigious cultural
events in India – conducted annually and now lasting for more than a hundred
days in which the finest and most accomplished artists in Indian classical
dances and music participate.

        This year’s festival concluded on 10 October, with a dance recital by
the famous film and classical dance personality Ms Shobana. In connection with
the World Palliative Care Day, that day’s program was dedicated to Palliative
Care. Speaking on behalf of Pallium India, Dr Baburaj Chakrapani introduced
palliative care to the audience with a video and slide show. The audience
listened, spell-bound.

        Pallium India thanks Mr Soorya Krishnamoorthy, the founder of Soorya
Festival and Ms Shobana, for giving visibility to palliative care and Pallium
India.You can watch Ms Shobana’s dance performance here
[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZOX1tCoNpw] .

        -

MEDICOS’ TRAINING: WE ARE JUBILANT!
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2013/10/MEDICOS-TRAINING-WE-ARE-JUBILANT/]

        We are very pleased with the success of the “Palliative Medicos
Training” that we held at Trivandrum in association with World Palliative Care
Day. The three day program was held on the 8th,9th and 10th of October 2013.
All 30 seats that we offered were taken up by budding doctors who had just
completed their MBBS course successfully and were about to start on their
one-year rotating house-surgeoncy.  Pallium India and the Department of
Community Medicine at Medical College, Trivandrum had jointly organized the
program. We thought that this would be a good initiation for the young doctors
into practice of clinical medicine.

        Here are some of the feedback from them:
        * _It reminded me that the patient is a person. I shall never again
refer to the patient as a case._
        * _I think that this course has refined me. I will be a better person._
        * _I have learnt to respect the wishes of the patient._
        * _I understood why I must be a doctor with a “heart”, I have learnt
the importance of compassion._
        * _I think I will become a doctor with a head, hands and heart._
        * _I learnt things that are really important in the practice of
medicine; things that are not mentioned in the textbooks that I had studied._
        * _I learnt how to relieve pain; how to use analgesics._
        * _I can now support dying patients._
        * _I think this was a great start for my house-surgeoncy._

        Thank you, dear friends, for participating in the program. Welcome to
the club of doctors with a heart. Congratulations, Dr Ambu and team for making
this happen.

        -

STREET PLAY FOR PUBLIC AWARENESS
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2013/10/STREET-PLAY-FOR-PUBLIC-AWARENESS/]

        October the 2nd is a sacred day for Indians – the birthday of India’s
beloved father of the nation, Mahatma Gandhi. In 2007, the United Nations
General Assembly passed a resolution declaring it the International Day for
Non-Violence.

        On 02 October 2013, Pallium India’s volunteers and staff were joined by
students from Mahatma Gandhi College and Mar Baselios Engineering College to
clean Trivandrum’s popular evening get-away – the beach at Shankumugham. The
Worshipful Mayor of Trivandrum Ms Chandrika herself joined the team in the
cleaning campaign.

        Following this, Pallium India team performed a street play to improve
public awareness.  In the photograph you see Sreelekshmi, our Assistant HR
manager playing the role of a patient’s wife.
The street play attracted a lot of public attention and was a great awareness
tool. Pallium India’s Trivandrum team think they would be doing this more
often.

        -

ROTARY AWARD TO PALLIUM INDIA
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2013/10/ROTARY-AWARD-TO-PALLIUM-INDIA/]

        Pallium India was the proud recipient of  Vocational  Excellence Award
from the “Rotary Club of Trivandrum Suburban” on 26 October 2013.  Mr. Binod
Hariharan, trustee of Pallium India received the award.

        Thank you very much Rotary Club of Trivandrum Suburban.  You have
always been supportive to Pallium India. We value your support greatly.

        -

ASIA PACIFIC HOSPICE CONFERENCE – BANGKOK, 11-13 OCTOBER 2013

        The annual conference of the Asia Pacific Hospice Network (APHN) was
held in Bangkok, Thailand from 11-13 October 2013. By getting together
palliative care enthusiasts from the region, it served as an excellent resource
for interaction and transmission of information.

        The conference presented among other things, the success of the Lien
Collaborative for Palliative Care, jointly developed by APHN and the Lien
foundation (a  philanthropic house in Singapore which works in the areas of
sustainable development, early childhood education as well as aging and
palliative care).  The program draws on philanthropy, tertiary educational
institutions, palliative care service providers and individuals to collaborate
on a project designed to strengthen Palliative Care capacity and leadership.
The program has been successfully launched in Bangladesh and Myanmar
The Asia Pacific Hospice Network (APHN) elected the following as office
bearers.

        Chairman: Dr Cynthia Goh, Singapore
Vice-Chairmen: Prof Kashiwagi, Japan; Dr M.R.Rajagopal, India
Hon Secretary: Dr Ednin Hamza, Malayasia
Asst Secretary: Dr Akhileshwaran, Singapore
Hon Treasurer: Ms Dorothy Wong, Hongkong
Asst Treasurer: Dr Ghauri Aggarwal, Australia

        -

DISCUSSION ON CORE COMPETENCIES AT APHC
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2013/10/DISCUSSION-ON-CORE-COMPETENCIES-AT-APHC/]

        What competencies must a palliative care professional acquire? Just a
treasure of knowledge and skills?  Or also the attitude – respect, compassion
and empathy?

        This was one of the matters that came up for discussion at the annual
meeting of the Asia Pacific Hospice Conference in Bangkok from 11-13, 2103.
Ms Amy Lee, a hospice nurse from Singapore who had won the 2010 Humanity award
for “Angelic Deeds” summed it up: “We have carelessly allowed much of our heads
to take up our hearts. Being sensitive to the feeling of our patients is he
very core essence of palliative care.”

        -

IPPF AND LDI – TWO MAJOR GLOBAL DEVELOPMENTS
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2013/10/IPPF-AND-LDI-TWO-MAJOR-GLOBAL-DEVELOPMENTS/]

        Dr Rajagopal, chairman of Pallium India writes:

        The International Pain Policy Fellowship (IPPF) and the Leadership
Development Initiative (LDI) have been two major developments in the global
palliative care scene in the recent years.

        As one of the mentors at both programs, I can say without any
hesitation that these two are going to have long-terms positive impacts – they
would surely lessen the burden of disease-related suffering in the world.

        IPPF was the brain-child of Mr David Joranson, the founder of the Pain
and Policy Studies Group (PPSG). Currently, it is directed by Dr Jim Cleary.
IPPF is about to complete training of it’s third cohort of fellows. Recognizing
that barriers related to legal and other issues is a common impediment to pain
relief, this imaginative program brings together palliative care pioneers and
government officials from various countries for a series of meetings and
electronic exchanges with far-reaching effects. The third cohort just finished
their two-year training with a final meeting at Bangkok, Thailand from 7-9
October 2013. From India, Dr Priya Kulkarni, Dr Nandini Vallath and Dr Shalini
Vallabhan are part of the current (3rd) cohort of fellows.

        The leadership Development Initiative (LDI) is directed by Dr Frank
Ferris and team. The majority of palliative care pioneers around the world have
been medical professionals. They would ordinarily have had no schooling at all
in leadership skills – skills that would ordinarily be taught to any management
professional. Recognising this, LDI selects palliative care pioneers from
developing countries and brings them together for a couple of years of
interaction and learning. The second cohort finished their third and final
meeting at Columbus, Ohio from 12-19 October 2013. Dr Anjum Joad Khan from
Rajasthan, Dr Chitra Venkateswaran from Kerala, Dr Dinesh Goswami from Assam
and Dr Shoba Nair from Karnataka formed the Indian contingent.

        It was a privilege to be part of two such significant programs.  The
brains behind the programs have blended together compassion, imagination and
expertise to change people in leadership roles and empower them to be better
and more effective agents of change.

        -

MEET A PALLIATIVE CARE PROFESSIONAL
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2013/10/MEET-A-PALLIATIVE-CARE-PROFESSIONAL/]

        Meet Lyden, a palliative care professional working at Kobacker house,
Columbus, Ohio, USA.

        He works from morning to evening, spending time with inpatients and
offering companionship. If you think he looks a bit somber, well, it is just
his bedside manner. He has a home which he shares with one of his human
colleagues, and once he gets out of his blue uniform he transforms himself to a
playful dog, full of life.

        We may not really make this happen in India yet, but many palliative
care facilities have a lesson to learn from the thought.  It is not just enough
to offer patients a home and symptom control; they need whole-person care. And
some companionship and warmth can never be provided by the best of medicines.

        Mentors and participants at the Leadership Development Initiative
organized by Dr Frank Ferris and colleagues had the opportunity of visiting
Kobacker house and of course, of meeting Lyden. Beautiful facility!

        -

IAHPC NEEDS ADVOCACY OFFICER BASED IN GENEVA.
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2013/10/IAHPC-NEEDS-ADVOCACY-OFFICER-BASED-IN-GENEVA/]

        IAHPC seeks a part-time expert to join as a Palliative Care Advocacy
Officer to be based in Geneva. This Advocacy Officer will lead and further
develop IAHPC’s and its members’ engagement with UN’s human rights and health
mechanisms to advance the legal recognition of palliative care and pain
treatment as human rights.

        The Advocacy Officer will work closely with IAHPC’s Executive Director
and with members of the Board of Directors. The Advocacy Officer will report
directly to the Executive Director, who will provide guidance and monitoring
from IAHPC’s office through email, Skype, and regular visits. The Executive
Director will be supported in this supervision by an advisory committee of
experts, including representatives of regional palliative care associations and
international human rights organizations.

        During the first few months of the project, the Advocacy Officer will
receive training in basic concepts of palliative care and service provision,
learning about different models of care in low, middle, and high resource
countries. In addition to visiting local palliative care projects in
Switzerland, a week of residential training will be arranged in palliative care
settings (TBD). The Advocacy Officer will also accompany a representative from
Human Rights Watch in his field work documenting reports and conducting
advocacy on palliative care as a human right.

        _MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES_

        The Advocacy Officer will work with IAHPC and member organizations to
coordinate human rights advocacy on palliative care and pain treatment. This
will entail participating in UN meetings, visiting country missions, helping
develop shadow reports, collaborating with country delegations, etc.

        Following this orientation period, the Advocacy Officer’s work will
initially focus on developing a strategy for engagement with human rights and
health mechanisms and laying the groundwork for effective advocacy. This will
include the following activities:
        * _Analysis of existing standards to set benchmarks_: This will entail
examining treaties, resolutions, statements, jurisprudence, and treaty body
interpretations to assess opportunities to address gaps in the international
recognition of palliative care and access to pain treatment as a human right.
        * _Identification of target mechanisms_: This work will focus on
identifying monitoring bodies that are particularly poised to recognize
palliative care and build on previous advocacy with them. These will most
likely include the World Health Assembly, the Committee on Economic, Social and
Cultural Rights; the Committee on the Rights of the Child and the Human Rights
Council.
        * _Engagement of target mechanisms_: The Advocacy Officer will invest
in building relationships with relevant members, secretariats, mission
representatives, and stakeholders. A mapping of partners will also be developed
and shared with IAHPC members to enhance their advocacy efforts.
        * _Capacity building of IAHPC and its member organizations_: This will
entail working with IAHPC and its members to develop reports highlighting
palliative care needs and government obligations, as well as supporting IAHPC
members on effective follow-up advocacy with monitoring bodies and their
national governments.
        * _Development of core advocacy arguments_: Primers with core advocacy
arguments to use with the various mechanisms will be developed for national
partners and the relevant mechanisms.

        _QUALIFICATIONS_

        _Education_
        * Postgraduate qualification in international law and/or human rights.

        _Knowledge_
        * Sound understanding of the international conventions on human rights,
the member states’ obligations and the mechanisms of enforcement.
        * Basic knowledge of global public health.
        * An understanding of current debates and directions in health and
human rights and an ability to leverage these to drive outcome focused results
for the palliative care population.

        _Experience_
        * Advocacy, research, and policy experience in an international
setting.
        * Human rights experience, preferably on health and human rights
issues.
        * Experience working in coalitions or networks.
        * Work experience in a developing country is highly desirable.

        _Skills_
        * Strong verbal communication skills.  Public speaking experience is
strongly preferred.
        * Ability to write clearly and succinctly for a range of audiences,
from formal submissions to short articles for social media or blogs.
        * Working fluency in a relevant second language is highly desirable
(e.g. Arabic, French, Russian or Spanish).
        * Well organized and able to manage multiple tasks.
        * Ability to respond flexibly to changing priorities and to set and
work to deadlines.
        * Ability to manage a budget (track expenditure / basic use of Excel
etc).
        * Excellent computer literacy (Word, Excel, PP or similar).

        _Attributes_
        * Self-motivated with a personal commitment to advocating for human
rights and access to palliative care.
        * Ability to learn quickly about new issues or advocacy targets.
        * Willingness and ability to travel.
        * Successful applicants will be asked to show proof that they can
legally work in the USA and in Switzerland. Compensation will be done in the
USA.

        RECRUITMENT PROCESS

        Please apply by sending a CV (maximum length 3 pages) and cover letter
(maximum 2 pages) to  advocacy@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:advocacy@xxxxxxxxx] . Your
cover letter should show why you are interested in this position and how you
meet the qualifications. We will only be able to contact shortlisted
candidates.

        TERMS AND CONDITIONS

        _Salary_
Between $30,000 and $35,000 per year depending on experience. Salary reviews
and performance appraisals are done in January every year.

        _Work Hours_
This post requires a working week of 25 hours (excluding breaks). These hours
will be worked as agreed with the Executive Director but some flexibility may
be required to meet the needs of the job. There is no paid overtime.

        _Holidays_
Holidays are 20 days per year plus bank holidays.

        _Length of term_
Twelve months with likely renewal based on the project’s success.

        _Probationary Period and Notice Period_
There is no probationary period for this role. The job may be terminated by
IAHPC for any reason with a 30 day notice.

        _Location_
The post is based in Geneva, Switzerland. Overseas travel will be required.

        -

DR M.R. RAJAGOPAL INSPIRES PACKED CROWD
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2013/10/DR-M-R-RAJAGOPAL-INSPIRES-PACKED-CROWD/]

        Ms Sunshine Mugrabi, Pallium India’s volunteer in USA, writes: "

        Dr M.R. Rajagopal, Pallium India Chairman gave an impassioned and
inspiring talk to a standing room only crowd on October 24, 2013. Hosted by Dr.
Jyoti Lulla and Dr. Jerina Kapoor of Pallium India-USA, the evening event was
held at Kaiser in Santa Clara, California.Dr. Rajagopal spoke of the urgent
need to bring pain relief and appropriate palliative care to the suffering
millions in India. He also shed light on the ongoing struggle for a palliative
care policy by the government of India, which is progressing but has also
encountered frustrating roadblocks.

        In his talk he recounted the stories of two women in India who embodied
the two extremes of end-of-life care. This dramatically illustrated the need
for appropriate palliative care in the country. First, the story of a woman who
was subjected to a kind of “high tech medical torture” in a prominent,
well-known hospital in India, where she lay dying in the ICU with bright lights
and unnecessary machines attached to her. The doctors there were deaf to the
pleas of her daughter–who happens to be a palliative care physician in USA–for
a more humane last few weeks of life. Her wishes were not honored.

        “Unfortunately advance care directives tend to be ignored in Indian
hospitals,” said Dr. Rajagopal, who lauded Pallium India-USA’s work in bringing
the issue of Advance Healthcare Directives to the Indian community in the USA,
where such documents tend to be respected and honored.

        Next, he told the story of a young woman who came to him writhing in
pain from advanced pancreatic cancer. Pallium India’s doctors treated her pain
with morphine, which is available in the organization’s home state of Kerala at
a relatively low cost.

        As Dr. Rajagopal explained, relieving her pain was the easy part–as it
turned out, the patient was afraid to die in peace because of fear that her
8-year-old daughter would be returned to the father who had tried to molest
her. Pallium India then stepped in and helped provide legal protections for the
daughter, so the woman could leave this world without fear. The happy result is
that the young girl is living with an aunt and grandmother and the father is
not allowed near her.

        As always, Dr. Rajagopal’s quiet yet insistent tone resonated with many
in the room, who shared their own stories and concerns about the need for
palliative care in India, and indeed throughout the developing world. Pallium
India-USA’s contributions have enabled development of a palliative care
facility in Jamnagar in Gujarat, with plans for development of two  training
centers, one each in Gujarat and Rajasthan.

        The event was hosted by Pallium India-USA, with the generous use of
Kaiser by member Dr. Jyoti Lulla, with a delicious dinner prepared by women in
the group. Also in attendance was Dr. Evaleen Jones, founder of Child Family
Health International, which partners with Pallium India to raise funds and
awareness of the organization.In all, an inspiring, well-attended event. Click
here
[https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.764901470202601.1073741828.141945799164841&type=1&l=52d87eb4ad]
 for pictures of the event.

"

        -

“THE HINDU” HIGHLIGHTS POOR MORPHINE CONSUMPTION IN TAMILNADU.
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2013/10/THE-HINDU-HIGHLIGHTS-POOR-MORPHINE-CONSUMPTION-IN-TAMILNADU/]

        Consumption of medical morphine in Tamilnadu is second only to Kerala
among Indian states. But that is really not cause for celebration because even
now morphine reaches only a tiny minority of the needy.

        Please see the article
[http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/tn-not-high-on-morphine-for-pain/article5254782.ece?homepage=true]
 in The Hindu in which, among others, Pallium India’s trustee, Dr Mallika
Tiruvadanan is quoted.

        -

PARTING SHOT

HEALTH TOURISM IN INDIA – WHY NO PAIN RELIEF?
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2013/09/SEPTEMBER-2013/]

        Dr Esther Munyoro from Kenya writes to ask: "

        _I am a Palliative Care Doctor in Kenya who is involved in caring for
patients who have had treatment in India and I have also escorted Patients to
hospitals in India. My concern is that even in a country with such advanced
medical care patients do not have physical pain adequately addressed. When
opioids are prescribed it is usually too little too late. In country that has a
robust medical healthcare system with evidence-based practice why is pain not
adequately dealt with?_"

        Why indeed?  Why not relieve suffering?  Will corporate hospitals in
India take note of the fact that Indian hospitals are steadily achieving a bad
reputation abroad for not relieving pain?