[palib] Digital Reference

  • From: "Jamie" <jamieab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <palib@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 10:19:39 -0700

Thanks again for all your support and enthusiasm.  This project formed an
important part of my Portfolio, and was valuable to me in so many ways.  I
am very glad to be a part of your listserv as well, it is good to keep
abreast of day to day professional struggles and successes.

I think I mentioned the Internet Public Library during the workshop.  Part
of their services is offering online reference.  "patrons" ask questions via
a web form and a staff of volunteers answer the questions.  The bulk of the
volunteers are students in digital reference courses across the country, but
they always welcome professionals to join the ranks.  they are currently
understaffed and would appreciate any help.  There is no quota of questions
you must answer, and you get to choose the ones you want.  I think Susan has
been involved in this in the past and may be able to give more information
as well.  I've included the links to the IPL and to information about
volunteering for the service.

I know you all are already busier than you can handle, but it can't hurt to
let you know about the service.  (it is avalible to you to use, to ask a
quesition, if you wish.  Librarians get priority service)

Here's that info on volunteering for IPL:
http://www.ipl.org/ref/STAFF/Recruit.html
Email: ref-recruit@xxxxxxx
IPL homepage: http://www.ipl.org.html