[p900] streaming video; rcomp

  • From: Alfonso Martone <a.martone@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: p900@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:36:34 +0100

The PacketVideo software supports only MP4 streaming. This means that
we cannot play lots of video/audio streaming resources.

This rtsp resource runs on the P900 (you can insert it as a bookmark
of the internet browser, or just tap it into the "open location..."
of the main menu of the PacketVideo P900 player):

rtsp://151.11.226.46:554/public/hitchannel

These resources don't run on the P900 because of realaudio/realvideo
formats:

rtsp://live.radio.rai.it/grr/gr1/ultima_diretta.rm
rtsp://mm1.rai.it/rainet/news/notiziari/tg/ultimotg2.rm

The latter can be played in Linux using mplayer, which sources are
available for download on www.mplayerhq.hu - this means that we could
rip off the realaudio/realvideo stuff from there and create our own
public domain realplayer without waiting for realnetworks to release
a commercial player for them (it seems that they released a Series-60
player, suitable for recent Nokia phones and others, but still didn't
release a Symbian/UIQ player).

About rcomp: while I was able to pass "test 1" and "test 2", I am
still fighting with epocrc.pl and rcomp's weird syntax. The
helloworld resource file, after preprocessing, makes rcomp exit after
a failed "assert" in its astring.cpp source.
Next steps (some weeks):
- rcomp must run on common resource files
- check if other tools are needed (the aif-generator is already here)
- compile .o files from .cpp files
- link against .lib libraries and correctly produce an executable
- makesis must generate a .sis correctly

alf