[p900] question about OPIE

  • From: Alfonso Martone <a.martone@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: p900@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:24:22 +0200

Mikhail:

Hi!
It is possible to compile QT Opie enviroment for p900?
If it is possible, I would be good to compile some Linux application for
P900...

Alfonso:

While Symbian is an operating system capable of some decent multitasking
and multithreading, it's not an Unix-style system. In the Symbian you
can start some "EXE" programs (actually {.EXE} extension) and
dynamically linkable libraries (actually {.DLL} and {.APP} and a number
of other extensions). They are subject to a number of limitations, for
example, allocable memory (heap) limit, stack space limit, etc,
stricter than the most common Unix-style systems around. Also,
"forking" and starting a new executable is very time-consuming in
respect of Unix-style systems. And, final issue, you have to connect to
Symbian firmware "servers" to get the most common services (sockets,
reading the keyboard, etc).

I think that OPIE would require a huge effort to be ported on the P900,
and final performance will be very low due to Symbian constraints. Most
of the work will be converting Unix-style methods (for example, "open a
socket", "fork this process", etc) to Symbian conventions. Opie was
born for Zaurus-style machines equipped with Linux.

I am trying to set up a standard library for simplifying most common
tasks (e.g., use standard C library plus a few graphical and user I/O)
to develop onto a Linux box and the recompile for P900.

--
alf