[p900] "commercial strategies" and other things

  • From: Alfonso Martone <a.martone@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: p900@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 10:07:25 +0200

Sony Ericsson has intentionally excluded the DuoPro driver from the
P900 software. The P910i, except a few minor things, has the same
hardware of the P900, and the same operating system and interface
releases (Symbian 7, UIQ 2.1). Maybe some features can be isolated
from the P910i software and transferred to the P900; I feel that SE
won't do this (it's not a wise "commercial strategy" to enhance old
models when new products are already in the shops).

Anyways my "programming philosophy" is to use the P900 as a regular
computer with graphical screen, "mouse" (touchscreen), some computing
power, and a few megabytes of memory (plus some decent storage). This
makes my P900 different than the P900 of other people. I am currently
developing a Sinclair Zx Spectrum emulator for the P900, and it's a
true programming artwork (getting 25 fps refresh in sync with Z80
emulation is not a joke; I had to unroll some loops "by hand" to get
the most efficient assembler-code compilation).

--
alf