[p900] Re: My own experience with gnupoc, etc

  • From: Philippe Andersson <pan@xxxxxx>
  • To: p900@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:40:08 +0100

Hello "m96",
m96 wrote:
> hi,
>
> Philippe, I'm right that you have a serial bluetooth adapter connected
> to your pc?
It isn't serial, it's USB, but the concept is the same of course.

> because i have the following problem:
>
> according to your page while using
>
> $ rfcomm conn 1 22:22:22:22:22:22 1
>
> 'If this test works, the rfcomm(1) utility shouldn't return (it keeps
> the connection open and loops until Ctrl-C is pressed),.... '
>
> but i returns immediately after an established connection on my system.
> so I think since also the rfcommX major and minor numbers doesn't match
> that the problem is that my bluetooth on my laptop is a USB bluetooth
> device with major 216 for USB bluetooth devices /dev/ttyUB0
>
> but on the other side since those are also tty emulations why won't it
> work?
I think that you only need the /dev/ttyUBx if you want to open a
"pseudo-serial" connection over BT -- you would do that, for instance,
using minicom and connecting over BT to your phone to use it as a modem.

I'm not sure though, because I didn't try that yet. The only serial
connection I tried to the P900 was through plain USB to its cradle. This
worked straight away.

The rfcomm utility will open the /dev/rfcommx device, not /dev/ttyUBx.

The first 1 in the command specifies the rfcomm device to use, the last
1 specifies the channel to open with the P900. On my phone, channel 1 is
the "Bluetooth Serial Port".

Before trying the rfcomm command, did you succeed in the previous steps
? Are the BT modules loaded, did you try the hcitool ? The sdptool ?

HTH

Ph. A.

--
                               |   IBA   |