[p900] Linux <=> P900 through BlueZ + OpenOBEX ?

  • From: Philippe Andersson <pan@xxxxxx>
  • To: p900@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 12:05:23 +0100

Hello to Alfonso and all the others.
I recently bought myself a P900 (comforted at the thought that I would
be able to link it to my Linux boxes -- I read Alfonso's pages before
buying). I'm now trying to put all that into practice, and I'm hitting a
snag.

I first tried an IR connection, but failed to get "irdadump" to show me
any packet coming from any external device (tried with another phone as
well).

I then changed tactic, and tried to get Bluetooth going.

I've had more success there: in short, both devices see each other, and
I can open a connection from the PC to the P900 with hcitool. Here is a
brief summary of my setup:

- Dell Latitude C610
- SuSE Linux Professional 9.0
- MSI USB Bluetooth dongle (CSR chipset)

- installed the required BlueZ packages (b.-libs, -sdp, -pan & -utils)
- installed the openobex package
- customized files in /etc/bluetooth (device name, PIN)
- /etc/init.d/bluetooth start

- discovered the PC on the P900, provided PIN, bonding succeeded !

- on the PC, "hcitool scan" sees the P900
- "hcitool info <dev addr>" displays the P900 capabilities and versions
- "hcitool cc <dev addr>" creates a connection to it (the P900 comes out
of sleep [screen lits] and blue led flashes rapidly).
- "hcitool con" will then list the connection
- after 20 secs (as advertised by "hcitool lst <addr>", the connection
vanishes.

All of the above looks promising and leads me to believe that the BT
stack on my laptop is up and working.

Now for my problem:

I downloaded the hacked "obex_p900.c" from Alfonso's site and compiled
it successfully. If I start "./obex_p900 bt" while the connection is up,
and then try to send a file from the phone through bluetooth, it asks me
to select the target device (my PC), then tries to send, but fails. No
reaction from obex_p900.

If I try (while the connection is up) to upload a file from the PC
("./obex_p900 bt <file>"), there's no reaction on the phone, and
obex_p900 immediately tells me "can't connect" or some such.

My question: I have the feeling that I'm missing a piece in the puzzle.
How does the openobex library link to the underlying BT stack ? I could
have several BT connections active at any given time, so how does the
OBEX application know which channel to use for communication ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Cheers. Bye.

Ph. A.