[overture] Re: modify ins equations

  • From: Bill Henshaw <henshaw@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: overture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 07:42:39 -0700

Hi Alessandro,
    userDefinedForcing assigns the forcing 1 grid at a time.
If ucg is a realCompositeGridFunction, then ucg[grid]
is a realMappedGridFunction.

Note that u(I1,I2,I3,uc) is an array (not a scalar).

You should use something like

   fg(I1,I2,I3,uc) = myParameters(3)*u(I1,I2,I3,uc);
   fg(I1,I2,I3,vc) = myParameters(4)*u(I1,I2,I3,vc);
  etc.

You will want to check that the forcing really works. As I indicated
we have been making many changes to the forcings. These
will appear in the next version.

...Bill

On 06/01/2012 02:45 AM, Alessandro Orchini wrote:

Hi Bill,

thanks for the suggestions, I'm working on the code.

I'm just not sure how to behave with the velocities: in userDefinedForcing the
velocity field is already read from the db by

const int & uc = parameters.dbase.get<int >("uc");
const int & vc = parameters.dbase.get<int >("vc");
const int & wc = parameters.dbase.get<int >("wc");

If I define a

real TheVelocity

and assign it component by component by

for(n==0; n<numberOfDimensions; n++)
{

if(n==0)
TheVelocity=u(I1,I2,I3,uc);

else if(n==1)
TheVelocity=u(I1,I2,I3,vc);

else if(n==2)
TheVelocity=u(I1,I2,I3,wc);

fg(I1,I2,I3,n)=myParameters(3)*TheVelocity;
}

does  this routine apply the forcing on all the grids? Usually when I read a
.show file I specify the grids with square brackets, e.g.

u[grid](i,j,k,n)

and I wonder what if the [grid] option is omitted.

Thanks!

Regards,

Alessandro

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 09:55:03 -0700
From: henshaw@xxxxxxxx
To: overture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [overture] Re: modify ins equations

Hi Alessandro,

   Forcings can be specified in cg/common/src/userDefinedForcing.C (we have been
making many changes to the forcing's which will appear in the next version).

Gravity can already be turned on if you solve the INS plus Boussinesq equations
(i.e.
add a Temperature equation) See the examples in the cg/ins/cmd.

Boundary values are set in cg/common/src/userDefinedBoundaryValues.C

...Bill

On 05/21/2012 08:17 AM, Alessandro Orchini wrote:

    Hi all,

    I would like to add forces at the INS equation (a volume force as gravity,
and also a force proportional to the velocity filed),

    and define new boundary conditions. In particular, I need to impose at the
inflow and outflow boundaries (top and bottom respectively) the velocity
profiles to be

    u(x,t)=0;
    v(x,t) = a*(cosh(b*x)/cosh(b*c) - 1);

    being a,b,c constants.

    I've found in ins/src the whole source code, but what and where I have to
modify exactly? (lineSolveINS.h? Cgins.C? ins(bC).C? ...)

    Thanks,

    Regards

    Alessandro