[overture] Re: New Overture release v24

  • From: Jon Tegner <tegner@xxxxxx>
  • To: "overture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <overture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 10:27:05 +0200

Thanks a lot!

Just checked icem, and there is an option to save as plot3d. I'll try that procedure first - seems easier to get going with (but less flexible). Another advantage is that in our group (except me only working with openfoam) we are used to icem, and it might be a bit easier to convince them to try overture if they still can use icem ;-)

Regards, and thanks again,

/jon

On 05/25/2011 06:43 PM, Kyle K. Chand wrote:
Hi Jon,

In principle you can import any collection of structured
grids as DataPointMappings.   As I recall ICEM has a block
structured grid generator; you could import the individual blocks
as DataPointMappings and then generate an overlapping
grid with ogen.  If ICEM can write the blocks using the plot3d
format then we even have a reader for that, otherwise you will
need to translate the grid data into a format ogen can read.

To generate grids from CAD we usually use our in house tools
ogen, mbuilder and rap.  ogen is the most general tool and actually
includes all the functionality of mbuilder and rap.  The sample CAD-data
grids are a good place to start (asmo*.cmd, marsCapsule.cmd,
nozzleAndCavity.cmd);
run them interactively to get an idea of what is going on.
However, some of these scripts can be long
and a little cryptic.  After running through them I suggest you read
in one of the IGES files
and try it out; in my experience trial and error is the best way to
learn these things :-)  Usually we start by generating the grids
interactively and
then modify the saved command file (ogen.cmd) in order to parameterize
the grid generation process (grid resolution, geometry changes, etc).

Let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Kyle

mailto: chand1@xxxxxxxx
phoneto: (925) 422 7740

On May 25, 2011, at 3:28 AM, Jon Tegner wrote:

Great! Looking forward to try it!

Have a general question. I have some experience of meshing using ICEM.
Is it possible to import meshes made from ICEM (or some other meshing
software) into the framework of overture?

Generally, what is considered the "best" way of creating the grids of
more complex geometries (importing from ICEM or the like might be
stupid/not possible)? Would it be to to import CAD-data and then work
with that, using ogen? What are the best way to learn this? I saw
there
is an example in sampleGrids, should I start there?

Regards, and thanks a lot for this new version!

/jon