[overture] Re: Installing Overture.v24 on Mac OSX Lion

  • From: "Kyle K. Chand" <chand1@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "overture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <overture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 15:02:10 -0800

Joe,

The sudo might be breaking it as it probably starts a new shell. You can try this:
sudo "source defenv; ./configure darwin useHDF5 FC=gfortran"
Note that you will then have to do
sudo "source defenv; make"
to actually build it, assuming this works. This will not work if the default shell for root is something other than csh. For example, if it is bash then you will need to
write a bash version of defenv that you can execute in the sudo command.

Or login as root and do the install if you need it to have root ownership.

regards,
Kyle

mailto: chand1@xxxxxxxx
phoneto: (925) 422 7740

On Mar 2, 2012, at 2:28 PM, J. P. Bernstein wrote:

Thanks, Kyle. That worked with:

sudo ./configure --with-CC="/opt/local/bin/gcc -I/usr/include/ malloc" --with-CXX="/opt/local/bin/g++ -I/usr/include/malloc" -- prefix=`pwd`

Moving on to the next step, the enviers set in defenv are not being inherited when trying to build Overture. I have the following set:

% cat defenv
#! /bin/csh -f
#
#     Define environment variables for Overture
#
# see the install notes on the web for further explanation or Overture/doc/install.tex
#
# edit this file and change as appropriate for your system,
# then type 'source defenv'

# You will need to change the following:
setenv XLIBS /opt/local
setenv MOTIF /opt/local
setenv OpenGL /opt/local
setenv HDF /opt/local
setenv APlusPlus /usr/local/A++P++-0.8.0/A++/install
setenv Overture /usr/local/Overture.v24

but get:

% sudo ./configure darwin useHDF5 FC=gfortran
Password:
*** configure for machine = darwin ****
*** machineType = [x86_64] ****
First checking for proper definition of Overture environmental variables:
ERROR: environmental variable APlusPlus =  DOES NOT EXIST
ERROR: environmental variable OpenGL =  DOES NOT EXIST
ERROR: environmental variable HDF =  DOES NOT EXIST
ERROR: environmental variable Overture =  DOES NOT EXIST
ERROR: environmental variable XLIBS =  DOES NOT EXIST
ERROR: Unable to find OpenGL library libGL or libMesaGL in  /lib64
Check the OpenGL environmental variable and try again
INFO: I am going to copy my version of the GLw files into Overture/ static directory
Checking for the Motif header files in /include/Xm/
Unable to find the Motif or Lesstif file /include/Xm/Xm.h
Check your MOTIF environmental variable, MOTIF=[]. It seems to be incorrect.

Any thoughts?

Sorry for the basic questions; while I am very experienced with linux, I am rather new to mac.

Best,

Joe

On Mar 1, 2012, at 4:52 PM, Kyle K. Chand wrote:

Joe,

Below are some more recent instructions for a parallel build of Overture on a Mac, including an A++P++ configure line which does not include -mlongcall (that was for older PowerPC macs, I believe). For a serial build, the A++ configure line I currently use (on a OS X 10.5.8 machine) is: % ./configure --with-CC="/Users/chand1/MacPorts/bin/gcc -I/usr/ include/malloc" --with-CXX="/Users/chand1/MacPorts/bin/g++ -I/usr/ include/malloc" --prefix="/Users/chand1/Overture/A++P++/A++P+ +-0.7.9d/gcc4.3.3" Note, my MacPorts is not installed in /opt/local, you will need to adjust the configure line appropriately.

For Overture, one would use
% configure darwin useHDF5 FC=gfortran
or something similar.

Regards,
Kyle

mailto: chand1@xxxxxxxx
phoneto: (925) 422 7740

Begin forwarded message:

From: Kyle K.Chand <chand1@xxxxxxxx>
Date: September 24, 2010 3:44:20 PM PDT
To: Ramesh Balakrishnan <bramesh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "overture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <overture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [overture] Parallel Overture on Mac

Hi Ramesh,

I managed to build Overture on the Mac. There were a few odd things.

0) It appears that openmpi is on the mac by default in /usr, I had not
known that.
 You can also use the openmpi and mpich or lam mpi from macports.

1) the configure line for A++P++ is:

./configure --prefix=`pwd` --without-PADRE --disable-shared -- disable- mpirun-check --enable-PXX --with-CC="gcc -I/usr/include/malloc" -- with-
CXX="g++ -I/usr/include/malloc" --with-mpi-libs="-lmpi_cxx -lmpi"

2) To build A++P++, use :
make MAKE=make install

3) make sure you have a parallel build of HDF5

4) configure Overture using something like:
./configure darwin parallel useHDF5 FC=gfortran

5) Now you need to fix the PFLAGS variable in $Overture/ GridFunction/
Makefile in order to add -I/usr/include/malloc

6) In the primer directory Makefile, eliminate the -Wl-weak-
framework,VecLib option from all the make variables

7) Fix ParallelUtility.C, the bool version of broadCast should be:
void
broadCast( bool & value, const int & fromProcessor )
{
#ifdef USE_PPP
  if( Communication_Manager::Number_Of_Processors==0 )
      return;

  int tmpValue = value;
  MPI_Bcast( &tmpValue, 1, MPI_INT, fromProcessor, MPI_COMM_WORLD);
  value = tmpValue;

#endif
}

8) Now you should be able to build Overture and also build the
examples primer/pppWave and primer/pwave

I was able to build and run pppWave and pwave with two MPI tasks on my
mac laptop.  We are working the fixes
into the next release.

Let me know how this works!
Kyle