[ourplace] Re: Pulled Pork

  • From: Karen Delzer <catwacky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ourplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 11:21:29 -0700

Sure, Judy, here ya go:

Shredded Beef For Sandwiches

You get 2-3 pounds, however much you want of shredded beef from your butcher. We get Stater Brothers, but they probably have it in other places. When you get it, it looks kind of like poorly cut cubes and you shred it more when it's cooked. Anyway, you get your slow cooker and grease it well. Then you chop an onion and put that into the bottom of the slow cooker. Add your meat, and then mix a cup of water with a package of au jus and some garlic powder and pepper and any other seasonings you want. If you want to salt it, do it after it's cooked so it won't toughen the meat. Mix that cup of stuff and pour it over your meat. Turn your slow cooker on low for at least ten hours.

on 12:49 PM 4/21/2017, Judy Cowart said:

No, didn't get the beef one. Could you please send that one? Thanks in advance.

Judy

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 21, 2017, at 12:10 AM, Karen Delzer <<mailto:catwacky@xxxxxxxxxxx>catwacky@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Okay, Judy, here it is. Did you get the beef one? (see below)

Pulled Pork (Crock pot)

I know everyone likes to make their own tweaks and stuff to recipes but with this one make it just like it is, at least ONCE! You won't regret it

4 lbs pork roast (shoulder or butt)
2 large onions
1 cup ginger ale
1 (18 ounce) bottle favorite barbecue sauce (I like Sweet Baby Ray's)
barbecue sauce, for serving (optional)

Slice one onion and place in crock pot.
Put in the roast and cover with the other onion, sliced. Pour over the ginger ale. Cover and cook on LOW for about 12 hours. See Note 2 below regarding amount of time needed!
Remove the meat, strain and save the onions, discard all liquid. With two forks, shred the meat, discarding any remaining fat, bones or skin. Most of the fat will have melted away.

Return the shredded meat and the onions to the crock pot, stir in the barbecue sauce. Continue to cook for another 4 to 6 hours on LOW.
Serve with hamburger buns or rolls and additional barbecue sauce. Any leftovers freeze very well.

TIP: freeze ready-made sandwiches - a scoop of meat on a bun, well-wrapped. These make a great quick meal or snack. To reheat, remove wrapping, wrap in a paper towel, and zap 1-2 minute in the microwave.

Note: Shoulder or butt are recommended because the meat shreds very well. Other cuts do not shred as readily. It is a fattier cut, but the fat melts away in the cooking and is poured away when you discard the liquid.

Note 2: i: a 6 lb pork shoulder in a 6 qt pot for 8 hours and was shreddable at that point. Shredded, added the sauce, and cooked for another hour or so to meld everything. So use your best judgment on timing!

Note3: You might want to turn your roast over after it's cooked a while, to ensure more even cooking. I think this may depend on the size and shape of your roast and the size of your slow cooker. Remember that each time you remove the lid you lose heat and add additional time, and be careful, as turning a large piece of meat is awkward.

on 08:38 PM 4/20/2017, Judy Cowart said:
Karen, could you please repost the pulled pork recipe? I never did see it by itself so i could save it. i'd really appreciate it.

Judy

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 20, 2017, at 4:39 PM, Karen Delzer <<mailto:catwacky@xxxxxxxxxxx>catwacky@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You won't be sorry, Connie, and it's just as good if you freeze and thaw.

Karen

on 01:39 PM 4/20/2017, Connie Mohney said:
Oh Karen, I might have to try this.
Thank you.

Connie