[ornl-run-walk] Re: ORNL Run/Walk Club

  • From: "Barron Jr, Tom O." <tbarron@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sparks, Joey R." <sparksjr@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 10:27:30 -0500

On 2014.0306, at 07:48, "Sparks, Joey R." <sparksjr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tom, I was out on Tuesday when the first meeting took place – did I miss
anything important?  Thanks!

> Joey R. K. Sparks, CPA, CFE
> Internal Audit Directorate

Hi, Joey,

Here are Ethan's notes from the meeting. I'm copying to the mailing list so
everyone can see them.

3/4/2014 - ORNL Running/Walking Club kickoff meeting discussion points

Mission Statement: Encourage active lifestyles and friendship through walking
and running.  Provide engagement, encouragement, and consistent accountability
for walkers and runners of all levels.

Goals:

-        Increase the number of individuals at ORNL who consistently walk or
run for fitness.
-        Increase involvement in the Fittest Company Challenge and the KTC
Corporate Challenge.
-        Increase involvement in local running/walking events (both active
participation and volunteering).

Methods:

-        Organize group runs/walks that meet regularly and make the schedules
easy to locate.
-        Encourage group participation in ORNL runs/walks as well as other
local events (KTC, ORTC, etc).
-        Organize trips for destination races (Savannah, Charleston, Disney…)
-        Provide opportunities for personalized coaching.
-        Get management/ALDs involved.
-        Bring in guest speakers for running/walking related topics:
            > Shahin Hadian (Fleet Feet Knoxville): Gait analysis, picking the
right shoes.
            > Bobby Holcombe (Knoxville Endurance): Staying motivated through
poor weather,                 hydration/nutrition, proper stretching techniques.
            > Eddie Reymond (The Health Shoppe): Nutrition, supplements.

Upcoming events:

-        March 6, 11:30: 5K on campus
-        March 11, 11:30: 10K on campus
-        March 30: Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon Events (Marathon, Half,
5K, Relay)
-        April 30: Guest speaker Bobby Holcombe

Positions:

-        Executive committee: Ethan Coffey, Brad Nance, Brian Bischoff, Tim
Forrester
-        Webmaster: Tom Barron
-        Social/outreach: Lisa Bollinger

Tasks:

-        Schedule run/walk meeting times (Executive committee)
-        Begin work on web page (Webmaster)
-        Build email distribution list (Webmaster)
-        Look into club vs employee resource group distinction (Kathryn Pittman)