[OGD] Re: orchids Digest V3 #4

  • From: "Australian Orchid Nursery" <wto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <orchids@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 08:38:24 +1100

Hi Guys ,Australian Orchid Nursery (Wayne Turville) back again.
The nursery has just expended to a large new property and for the first time
in 30 years of orchid growing I now need to use Dam water.
Due to the shortage of fresh water in South East Australia due to a 18 year
drought now dam water is our only option.

Unfortunately by law ,all runoff must be recycled back in to the dam.
For disease reasons that means I will have to pump and tank and treat the
water going back to the orchids.

I have heard of UV Light  treatments, and sand filters.
I thought maybe chlorinating the tank and leaving the water to stand for a
few days for the chlorine to evaporate,But then this may put up the salt
content of the water too high?

I also have the option of a large bio filter in the form of a 100 metre long
reed bed,.

Has anyone got some experience who can help me.

Surely we all cant be using mains tap water!

Wayne Turville Australian Orchid Nursery.

Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 01:28:55 -0500
Subject: Re: Lip-less wonder
From: Julia Redman <julia.redman@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Mike,

There is such a species, but in place of the lip, that species has a
third petal.  Its a natural peloric speciation from or sometimes
considered a variety of caudatum, and supposedly self-pollinates.

ISOPE has a great photo here:
http://www.orchidspecies.com/phragmlindenii.htm

My freakish plant has no petal either.

Cheers,
Julia

------------------------------

From: Jim Pyrzynski <jpyrzynski@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 07:54:11 -0600

Phragmipedium lindenii has a petal in place of a lip. Some time back I
think it was considered a variety of Phrag. caudatum and the remainder
of the flower resembles that species. For a photo and more information
you can you look at orchidspecies.com/phragmlindenii.htm

Jim Pyrzynski

------------------------------

From: Thomas Hillson <tdhillson@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: A lip-less wonder
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 20:35:53 -0600

Julia,
You can get abnormal flowers on any orchid. It can happen from cold,
physical damage, or some other problem. I have seen Paph's, Phrag's,
Cattleya's all with not lip at various times, usually it is a single
occurrence due to some thing damaging the flower. If it is genetic
like in Phrag. lindelii, it will occur every time it blooms. Just
enjoy the unusual bloom this time and see if it happens again.

Tom Hillson

On Jan 2, 2010, at 12:42 PM, Julia Redman wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I recently had a Phrag bloom out with no lip/pouch, and no peloric
> petal in its place.  Have any of you ever experienced that before?
> You can see a photo here: http://sapphirechild.blogspot.com/
>
> Julia
>
> --
> Julia Redman

Thomas Hillson
tdhillson@xxxxxxxxx
"Are You Tiger or Are You Eeyore?" Randy Pausch

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 15:36:11 -0500
From: viateur.boutot@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: contacting Gunter Gerlach / thanks

A note of thanks to the colleagues who wrote to help in contacting Gunter
Gerlach :
Kerry Dressler
Wesley Higgins.
and
Jean-Marie Vanderwinden

My correspondent in Colombia was able to obtain confirmation of a taxonomic
determination and additional info from Mr. Gerlach.

Best regards,

Viateur

End of orchids Digest V3 #4