[OGD] RES: orchids Digest V3 #8

  • From: "Philippe Morisot" <philmori@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <orchids@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 06:50:30 -0300

Hi,
 thank´s Bev, Paul and everyone who made contact with me directly,
for all these informations , I really appreciated.
If someone needs some information about brasilian orchids, I will be pleased
to do my best to help him.
Regards,
Philippe M.
Cumuruxatiba, Bahia
Brazil
philmori@xxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 08:42:44 -0700
From: BevTall <bevtall@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Costa Rica

Hello Phillipe,
Monteverde is a wonderful place for orchids, birds and jungle plants
in general.
However, the place to easily see orchids is at Lankester Gardens
where there are many
orchids and more at eye level than in the jungle where they tend to be high
up.
Here is their web site.
http://www.jardinbotanicolankester.org/ing/index.html
Costa Rica is a wonderful place with many protected places.
Another park is Manuel Antonio which is on the western coast at
sea level where you will find primary forests with many different plants and
orchids plus animals which are easy to see. This is definitely worth
a visit also.
Their web site is http://www.manuelantoniocostarica.com/cr/default.asp
Hope this helps. Have fun in Costa Rica.
Bev

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 12:36:30 -0500
From: viateur.boutot@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: growing in Pors an Trez - Bretagne (France)

"Pors an Trez...

34 [species] en Bretagne."

http://www.ouest-france.fr/actu/actuLocale_-Laurent-une-passion-vivace-pour-
l-orchidee-_29151-avd-20100106-57436463_actuLocale.Htm

********************
Regards,

VB

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 14:01:01 -0500
Subject: Re: Costa Rica Trip . . .
From: "Wm. Paul Mitchell" <stanhopi@xxxxxxxxx>

> From: "Philippe Morisot" <philmori@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Costa Rica
> Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 08:27:47 -0300
>
> Hi, I live in Brazil and I am planing a trip to Costa Rica in April 2010.
> Someone could help me with informations  where to see orchids?

The Exposición Nacional de Orquídeas is held in March each year* in
the capital, San José.  In it are on display many of the costarrican
native orchids. If you have not bought your air tickets and it is
possible to change your trip to mid-March it is worth attending this
show.  It is also pretty much the height of the blooming season for
the orchids there.

The several times that I have attended this show I saw costarrican
orchid species that I never expected that I would get to see.

> Is Monteverde a good place?

It is OK, but there are better places.  The Robert Wilson Botanical
Garden (La Cruces) is in the south part of CR near the Panama border
and is a few kilometers from the town of San Vito de Java.  It is an
OTS center and has wild areas in it.  I know Ticoglossum krameri and
Miltonia santanae can be found there. This botanical garden has a
website.

Also Lankester Botanical Gardens  a few kilometers east of the old
capital of Cartago is worth a visit, too. They, too, have a website.

> Is April or May the good season?

The middle of March into April is the best time.  After that there are
fewer and fewer species orchids in bloom.

* The dates  and contact info for the ACO (Asociación Costarricense de
Orquideología)'s  Exposición Nacional de Orquídeas will be March
19-21, 2010.  It will be held at the Antigua Aduana, Avenida 3-9 Calle
23, in San Jose.

Contact: Ana Cristina Rodriguez, PO Box 6351-1000, San Jose, Costa
Rica; (506) 2240-4269; info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hope this is useful for you.

Paul M.
Tampa, Florida / Alajuela, Costa Rica
==

End of orchids Digest V3 #8

Nenhum vírus encontrado nessa mensagem recebida.
Verificado por AVG - www.avgbrasil.com.br
Versão: 8.5.432 / Banco de dados de vírus: 270.14.131/2609 - Data de
Lançamento: 01/09/10 07:35:00