[OGD] Re: Butterflies

  • From: Nicholas Plummer <myrmecodia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: orchids@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 06:35:32 -0800 (PST)

Oliver Sparrow wrote:
> Yes, I was surprised by that, too. Do any butterflies
> anywhere pollinate
> orchids?

Some of the brightly colored North American Platanthera species are pollinated
by butterflies.  Platanthera ciliaris, for example, is pollinated by various
species of swallowtail butterflies.

> I was also surprised by another quote, to the effect that
> only a few orchids
> have dedicated pollinators, the implication being that
> flippertigibbit insects
> promiscuously bumble around, occasionally doing the
> necessary for orchids.

Can't find the link now.  Did the article imply that was the situation in
nature or in cultivation?  When I put bee-pollinated orchids (e.g. Cattleyas,
Encyclias, some Dendrobiums) outside in the summer, they're frequently
pollinated by local bees that promiscuously bumble around (great phrasing, by
the way).

Nick

--
Nicholas Plummer