[OGD] Re: Bees and Butterflies

  • From: Julie Rosenberg <julie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: orchids@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 09:24:32 -0500

Hi, Peter...

I can't speak directly to the question about specific pollinators
in that instance, but I can tell you, without hesitation, that
some Southeast Asian orchids here in South Florida get pollinated
by local insects --- we regularly see capsules on
grammatophyllums and some dendrobiums, and it is quite common to
see multiple capsules on Asctm. miniatum (garayi). In fact, here
at the nursery, we have quite a few grammatophyllums (and other
orchids)in the garden trees that have naturalized from seed.

So it isn't impossible.

Julie