[OGD] Re: A lip-less wonder

  • From: Thomas Hillson <tdhillson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: orchids@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 20:35:53 -0600

Julia,
You can get abnormal flowers on any orchid. It can happen from cold,
physical damage, or some other problem. I have seen Paph's, Phrag's,
Cattleya's all with not lip at various times, usually it is a single
occurrence due to some thing damaging the flower. If it is genetic
like in Phrag. lindelii, it will occur every time it blooms. Just
enjoy the unusual bloom this time and see if it happens again.

Tom Hillson

On Jan 2, 2010, at 12:42 PM, Julia Redman wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I recently had a Phrag bloom out with no lip/pouch, and no peloric
> petal in its place.  Have any of you ever experienced that before?
> You can see a photo here: http://sapphirechild.blogspot.com/
>
> Julia
>
> --
> Julia Redman

Thomas Hillson
tdhillson@xxxxxxxxx
?Are You Tiger or Are You Eeyore?? Randy Pausch