[orcachat] Re: Inmate entertainment

  • From: Tom Speer <me@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORCA Chat <orcachat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 19:02:35 -0700

I suggested those because they were good aviation movies.  Jimmy Stewart (who, in real life, was a General in the USAF Reserves) was in /The Flight of the Phoenix/ and /Strategic Air Command/.  John Wayne was in /The High and the Mighty/, and Glenn Ford was in /Fate Is The Hunter/ - you can't go wrong with those!

Model airplanes feature in the plot of /The Flight of the Phoenix/. Come to think of it, the /Phoenix/ would make an awesome scale model.  (Now where did I put those C-82 plans?)

There were a bunch of other Earnest K. Gann movies, including /I//sland in the Sky/ (also with John Wayne), //Soldier of Fortune/, The Raging Tide/ (Gann wrote the screenplay), /The //Aviator/, /Masada/, /The Last Flight of Noah's Ark/ (good family pic), /Twilight for the Gods/, /Blaze of Noon/.  You could have a whole Earnest K. Gann film festival!

Here's a site with a dozen movies that feature airplanes in leading roles: https://www.historynet.com/movie-stars-with-wings.htm

Cheers,

Tom

On 3/23/20 3:47 PM, (Redacted sender jhshmud for DMARC) wrote:

Jake,

I have not seen the movies, Fate is The Hunter and The High and The Mighty.  I have read those books along with Island in the Sky written by Earnest Gann  and they all were excellent. As a little trivia
 he lived in Friday Harbor and his favorite airplane to fly was a Pietenpol.
Thanks for the tips on movies.  John