RE: TOAD vs SQL Navigator

  • From: "Dave Schmoldt" <gazcom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oradev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 12:18:41 -0500

TOAD seems (to me) to have a huge number of configuration options.  In fact,
the programmers have been joking about having too many and that the users
are getting confused.  IN the latest beta, they've gone through and cleaned
or re-configured a lot of the configuration screens.  But I can't compare it
to SQL Navigator, since I no longer have access to it.

TOAD's hotkeys ... I tend to just use the defaults, but I understand you can
define them however you want, to whatever you want.  Maybe they should offer
a SQL Navigator hot-key emulation ooption. :-)

I think we all get comfortable with whatever tools we use, and if we try out
another one, it won't feel right compared to the one we're used to.  We
would have to really immerse ourselves in the new tool for several days to
get adjusted to it, and who has the time for that?

I think SQL Navigator is really focused on SQL and PL/SQL editing, and does
a good job in that area.  TOAD has expanded their scope into DBA
functionality, project management, team coding, and other areas.  Some might
see that as good, some might see it as bloat. :-)

I would say it's good to have competing products, because it keeps them both
on their toes.  But since in this case TOAD and SQL Navigator are both owned
by Quest, I'm not sure how that works.

Dave

//www.freelists.org/webpage/oradev