Re: yet another round of Fabian Pascal, C.J. Date - relational model, NULLs, Xquery, etc.

  • From: mkb <mkb125@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 08:28:20 -0700 (PDT)

I've never read any of Fabian's articles so this is a
first for me.  I thought he made some good points and
from what I THINK I understood from the article, I
tend to agree:

1. XML should not be used as a query language
2. XML is good as an interchange language between
systems
3. SQL doesn't implement the relational model
4. A better language is needed to implement the
relational model

He does come across as being rather ascerbic towards
his peers though.

On another note:

Incidentally, ?inapplicable values? are a red herring.

They are an artifact of bad database design. There is
only
one kind of missing value ? unknown ? and as I
demonstrate
in the above-mentioned chapter, it can be handled
relationally,
without the huge problems of SQL?s NULLs.
<<<<

can anyone point to an example...

mohammed