RE: write complete waits.

  • From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle455@xxxxxxxxx" <oracle455@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 21:51:32 +0000

I suppose, given the very recent exchange with Kevin Jernigan I should ask if
this is securefile or basicfile LOBs before commenting, but answering for
basicfiles I'm not surprised.

Depending how you're handling the LOBs and whether they're defined as CACHE, or
CACHE READ, and (picking up the other long thread for today) whether they're
using the standard buffer pool (as opposed to a different block size or the
keep or recycle caches), then you have to remember that LOBs are allowed to be
very large objects - so if you read them into the buffer cache you may have to
kick out a lot of other information; and if you kick out a lot of information
you may have to write the content of some buffers to disk before you can re-use
the buffer for your LOB - at which point the session trying to read the LOB
ends up in a write complete wait.

Regards
Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com