%wio from sar

  • From: "Hameed, Amir" <Amir.Hameed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 12:45:12 -0400

Folks,
I understand that %wio is an idle statistic (Kevin Closson had confirmed
it for me). I use this statistic to get a feel whether the system is
spending a lot of time waiting for IO or not. I have seen in the past
that each time we had some I/O related issue where the system was
processing I/Os slowly, the statistic was showing high values. Sun is
telling me that this statistic should not be relied on. I need an
opinion whether this statistic should be considered when diagnosing IO
issues at the server level or not.

Thanks
Amir