Re: win32: veritas embedded ms sql server huge memory hog

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BranimirP@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:11:47 +0100

for SAN (or NAS) environments a single windows server could easily be
responsible for multiple tape libraries, servers, catalogs, backup schedules
etc. if course deciding to stick this sort of job on a db server is, er 'a
courageous decision minister' as Sir Humphrey used to say.

On 9/13/05, Branimir Petrovic <BranimirP@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >Not pretty, nor should be necessary (who on Earth
> wanted/requested
> >database catalog of all backed up stuff - when flat file list
> stored
> >on the tape itself would do it nicely)
>

> If you have, say, 2500 tapes in the library, which one has that
> flat file on it?
>

> Great point, only I have "slight difficulty" picturing Windows box
> "driving" 2500 unit tape library. Somehow one-on one is most often
> Windows mantra in which case searching flat files is the way I'd
> like it. BTW, many moons ago I had ArcServe which too tended to build
> and maintain its own database (that could not be turned off), which by
> itself became corrupted and could not be purged, so when it eventually
> ate most of humongous (for that time) 4GB HDD - I got rid of ArcServe,
> hating the very idea of backup catalog databases ever since.
>
> Branimir
> --

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA