Re: what is the main purpose of cloning a database.

  • From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx, "'ORACLE-L'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 18:26:26 -0700

At a prior employer I did daily exports of the metadata of all Peoplesoft databases ( Financials, HR, Student Admin ) which I could use to create a database without transaction data. Modeled after the old AUD databases. A few times that came in handy to recover code the developer failed to save to file-based projects when a development database was refreshed. No need to have a full clone for just the metadata.

At 04:44 PM 12/17/2008, Nuno Souto wrote:
Sure is.  What I'd like to see is Peoplesoft HR for example
install all its metadata in another schema than PSMAN.
Then it's a simple matter of cloning the schema for simple
code checks and testing.  Much better than 25000 tables...
Unfortunately, I still have to see one single Peoplesoft
installation - all the way to Peopletools 8.4.10 - where
that is the case.

Most unfortunate.  But it makes for a great test of the
backup/cloning mechanism! Can't complain. ;)

Regards

Wolfgang Breitling
Centrex Consulting Corporation
www.centrexcc.com