RE: what is the data dictionary?

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <martin.a.berger@xxxxxxxxx>, "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 20:54:32 -0400

Martin,

    First off the data dictionary is listed under those views that start
with DBA or USER.  They point you at what your or others tables/objects
are and their properties.  As far as any view that starts with V$ those
are dynamic performance views of internal data structures.  They are not
there to tell you what is in the caches, but how they are behaving.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International