RE: what is obj$.type#=10?

  • From: "Jacques Kilchoer" <Jacques.Kilchoer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:40:17 -0700

 -----Original Message-----
Jonathan Lewis

-- I agree. Specifically, you get lots of these when
-- you create a permanent object that depends on
-- public synonym.  At some point, you may create
-- a local object that "conceals" the public synonym,
-- at which point the thing that depends on the synonym
-- has to become invalid and depend on the local object.
-- To allow this to happen, you NEED a 'non-existent'
-- object of the same name to exist, so that the permanent
-- object can depend on its non-existence, and notice when
-- it ceases to be non-existent.

Once again I learn something from the list. (I wrote a sample script =
below to show what Mr. Lewis is talking about.) I have a question =
though. In an Oracle 9.2 database, I create public synonym X for =
some_table. Then I drop public synonym X. No one has ever used public =
synonym X, there are no dependencies on it, so why does a row remain in =
SYS.OBJ$ for X with type# 10? That row will remain until I restart the =
database.

-- showing how an procedure depending on a public synonym will cause the
--  the creation of a "non-existent" object with the same name as the
--  public synonym, in the procedure's schema
SQL> select
  2     b.name as owner, a.name as object_name, a.type#,
  3     decode (a.type#, 2, 'TABLE', 5, 'SYNONYM', 7, 'PROCEDURE') as =
object_type
  4   from
  5     sys.obj$ a, sys.user$ b
  6   where
  7     a.name in ('COUNTRY', 'COUNTRY_PROC')
  8     and a.owner# =3D b.user# ;
aucune ligne s=E9lectionn=E9e

SQL> create table beta.country
  2    (country_code varchar2 (10), country_name varchar2 (40)) ;
Table cr=E9=E9e.

SQL> create public synonym country for beta.country ;
Synonyme cr=E9=E9.

SQL> grant select on beta.country to alpha ;
Autorisation de privil=E8ges (GRANT) accept=E9e.

SQL> create procedure alpha.country_proc
  2  as
  3     x country.country_code%type ;
  4  begin
  5     null ;
  6  end ;
  7  /
Proc=E9dure cr=E9=E9e.

SQL> select
  2     b.name as owner, a.name as object_name, a.type#,
  3     decode (a.type#, 2, 'TABLE', 5, 'SYNONYM', 7, 'PROCEDURE') as =
object_type
  4   from
  5     sys.obj$ a, sys.user$ b
  6   where
  7     a.name in ('COUNTRY', 'COUNTRY_PROC')
  8     and a.owner# =3D b.user# ;
OWNER                          OBJECT_NAME                        TYPE# =
OBJECT_TY
------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------- =
---------
PUBLIC                         COUNTRY                                5 =
SYNONYM
ALPHA                          COUNTRY                               10
ALPHA                          COUNTRY_PROC                           7 =
PROCEDURE
BETA                           COUNTRY                                2 =
TABLE

SQL> create table alpha.country
  2    (country_code varchar2 (15), country_name varchar2 (40)) ;
Table cr=E9=E9e.

SQL> select
  2     b.name as owner, a.name as object_name, a.type#,
  3     decode (a.type#, 2, 'TABLE', 5, 'SYNONYM', 7, 'PROCEDURE') as =
object_type
  4   from
  5     sys.obj$ a, sys.user$ b
  6   where
  7     a.name in ('COUNTRY', 'COUNTRY_PROC')
  8     and a.owner# =3D b.user# ;
OWNER                          OBJECT_NAME                        TYPE# =
OBJECT_TY
---------
PUBLIC                         COUNTRY                                5 =
SYNONYM
ALPHA                          COUNTRY                                2 =
TABLE
ALPHA                          COUNTRY_PROC                           7 =
PROCEDURE
BETA                           COUNTRY                                2 =
TABLE