RE: what could cause a high elap value for the exec system call (for a select statement)?

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Cary Millsap'" <cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 10:57:10 -0500

well great usual answer. and pages approximately 98-101 of Cary's book with
Jeff Holt takes you through "walking the clock."

now, you are in fact talking about Oracle's extended trace output, and the
right way to look at it is exactly the way Cary put it. If you want to dig
deeper I think you have to write out your own harness in oci for what
sqlplus usually does for you. In that context (and hey, I think I last wrote
an oci program in 1990 and they had already changed all the calls since I
was really good at it in 1986) I'm pretty sure if you toss your sql through
an oparse (or whatever they've renamed it), then oexec (or whatever they've
renamed that), Oracle will run off processing. If you never do an ofetch
(owtrt), the oexec will still do all the work to fill the first buffer area
you've given it. How the lines in the extended trace correlate is the way
Cary describes it (or at least it was last time I looked, and that was
before there were WAIT lines.). And unless you write an oci harness, I don't
think you have a way to do the oexec without automagically bundling at least
the first ofetch. But the way I think of it is that the oexec does all the
work except delivering the rows back from the resultset. If you deferred the
ofetch call until a while after the resultset had been dumped into the
buffer area, then its elapsed time would be short - but I'm not sure how
that would translate into extended trace lines. So while I'd be inclined to
answer your question no and say the exec call does lots of the work you're
thinking of as fetch, the way Cary has described it is the way to look at
extended sql trace lines.  (And don't forget, they may have changed the
oexec/ofetch relationship too. I'm not going to look it up until I have to
write an oci program.)

mwf

  _____