RE: waits

  • From: "Baumgartel, Paul" <paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: joseph.armstrong-champ@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:23:00 -0500

Joe,

Start by running an ASH report or AWR report for a time period of
interest.  See how much of total database service time is consumed by
the various waits.  Identify the SQL that is associated with the top
waits.  You may then wish to trace individual sessions (using
dbms_monitor) to determine the cause of poor performance.  Inspect
execution plans, as the 10g optimizer is very different from 8i.  Also
make sure that you have up-to-date statistics on tables and indexes.

Paul Baumgartel
CREDIT SUISSE
Information Technology
Securities Processing Databases Americas
One Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10010
USA
Phone 212.538.1143