RE: v$sql 'db block changes'

  • From: "Laimutis Nedzinskas" <lnd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:38:11 -0000

tracking db block changes would give some idea but there are so many
things to consider:

- block getters can be quite responsible for block writes just because
they need db cache space.
- to change a block it is necessary to get a block. Which means that
again there is quite a chance that top block getter is top block
changer.
- 2 or more sql stms changing the same block would not need much space
in the db cache nor generate many disk writes. We are more interested in
statistics physical writes.

All this leads to the idea that the calculation should start from
another end:

find most write-loaded segments,
then find what sql is working on those segments.

Brgds,
Laimis