Re: v$session question

  • From: "Jeffrey Beckstrom" <JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <veeeraman@xxxxxxxxx>, "Thomas F (LABOR) Mercadante" <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 12:14:46 -0500

On windows, we always do an ORAKILL to kill the database thread.

>>> Ram Raman <veeeraman@xxxxxxxxx> 1/30/09 11:45 AM >>>
Thank you Tom.

I would think that killing via oracle first is safer because oracle
would roll back any work done. If done via OS first, will Oracle roll
the transaction back and leave the database in a consistent state?  If
there is no entry in the V$transaction, then I think killing the process
from the OS should be ok. Any corrections to this theory?

On 1/30/09, Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR)
<Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ram,

On Unix, you need to kill the unix session first before killing the
Oracle session.  Kill the spid value returned from this query on the
unix prompt:

kill -9 999999

Then kill the session within the database with your "alter kill"
statement.

    selectv$session.username,spid
      fromv$session,v$process
     wherev$session.username in('yourusername')
       andv$session.paddr=v$process.addr
     orderbylast_call_et desc

Hope this helps.

Tom