RE: voting disk

  • From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ivanrs79@xxxxxxxxx" <ivanrs79@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 14:14:56 +0100

Hi,

So, if I understand it correctly, your databases will have their storage either
on the EVA or on the XP. You won't have mirrored asm diskgroups with failgroups
on both storage boxes?

In that case your cluster will continue to function as long as you have a
single voting disk accessible (and your interconnect is not disconnected).
When creating an asm diskgroup consisting out of 3 luns spread out over the 2
storage boxes, this will make that if one of the storage boxes is down your
cluster will be still online.
However if it is the EVA which is down, 90% of your databases will be down. So
the advantage is maybe small compaired to just put the asm diskgroup for the
voting disks and ocrfiles on the EVA.

Regardless wether or not you spread the voting disks and ocr disks over both
storage boxes or not, it is a good idea to create a separate asm diskgroup for
these files.

Regards,

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime