Re: v$object_usage: anyone have bad experience with it?

  • From: zhu chao <zhuchao@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lex de Haan <lex.de.haan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 20:53:16 +0800

Hi Lex,
     Actually CPU bottleneck has been solved temporiry . I noticed the
redundent index problem while I was doing the tuning job on that host.
     Unique index can be dropped if it was created with a unique index
without specifying a unique constraint on the column.
    And your words about the FK index at 9.2 is no longer accurate, as
note 223303.1 said.  The document IS wrong in this case.
"This new locking behaviour is an expected behaviour for the Oracle
code. As only shared locks are involved, it does not prevent DML from
being issued against either the child or parent tables. It will
prevent operations that require an exclusive table level lock.
However, as it generally considered to be bad design to have an
application implementing exclusive table locks, the impact of the
change should be minimal."

    And talk back to the redundent index problem. Remove the redundent
index not only released the space, but also reduce the overhead to
maintain the index, so speed up the transactions/reduce the redo size.
    We have been knowing the v$object_usage for a long time since 9.2
is released, but personally I didn't drop index according to the
v$object_usage.

  We have hundreds of database with xxxG/xT in size, if  drop
redundent index according to v$object_usage is proven to be OK. This
can save us Terabytes of disk space, which can mean a lot of money.

THanks for your help.

--
Regards
Zhu Chao