RE: vmstat output to db

  • From: "David" <thump@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:45:38 -0700

I had considered using sar and some other commands and do plan to also.
I planned on getting a working skeleton working and then modify the
functionality/syntax for various commands and captures.

Do you mean though, why don't I just use SAR collections and retrieve =
the
data via sar for historical trending.  Why put it in the database and =
not
the sar files?
If that is the question, then I plan or have been asked to setup alert
notifications if a criteria is met(paging/swapping when pi/po and sr are
high, cpu load above a point, etc).  Easy way to manipluate the data and
alert is if the data is in the db.  I could use sar and scripting to
accomplish the same I suppose....six of one half a dozen of another, but
perhaps there is merit to do it the sar/scripting way.  I got more
interested in this method than determining if it was the best appraoch.  =
was going to do that later.  ;)

In a way, this was/is a learning exercise.
I got the idea from the Statspack manual, which I have not read and do =
not
own, but I know in that manual the process of loading OS metrics into =
the db
is discussed and scripts provided.
Is there merit to that.
At one time I thought it was extending statspack, but it looks like =
perfstat
schema in only leveraged and no sort of spreporting can pull in OS data
right?
Cheers
- David