Re: views on views on views

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 07:54:01 +0000

My word, you go to sleep and all is well with the world, you wake up
and the religious wars have started again!  I think tim has it about
right with regard to database independence, it hugely benefits the
vendor, and often is good enough to satisfy the customer, at least if
more hardware is bought. This is no bad thing. Where it becomes a bad
thing is when you start having more than the one application or applet
accessing the data, this usually starts happening about 18 months into
the life of  the app, often at the same time the app gets an upgrade,
thats when you start discovering that the business logic rarely
applies to the application, but to the data. It's the order that needs
those 5 mandatory fields not the order entry screen. Putting all the
logic in one app then puts the vendor in a hugely powerful position -
any one who has extended oracle apps for example will understand this
well.

On 3/27/09, Greg Rahn <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> database independent/agnostic == slow everywhere, right?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Greg Rahn
> http://structureddata.org