Re: views on views on views

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ltiu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 15:40:04 -0700

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Lyndon Tiu <ltiu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Another way of seeing this is:
>
> Where is your center of the universe?
>
> I just realized this is an Oracle list, so it is understandable that the
> database is the center of the universe here. Naturally, if the database is
> the center of the universe for you, you'd want to implement as much as you
> can in the database.
>
> If you are an application developer type, your center of the universe is
> the application.

I believe that is a flawed way to view things.

Sometimes code belongs in the database, sometimes it belongs
in the application.

It requires some objectivity to view these things in a rational
manner and make informed and rational decisions about where
each part of an application lives.

There are many types of code, presentation, data manipulation,
calculation, ETL, ...

Use the layer that makes sense.

Toon Koppelaars had an excellent two part presentation a few
years ago at Hotsos on Model-View-Control that helped me get
a much better understanding of application architecture.

I am not an application architect, but it is a good idea to know
at least a little about many different fields.

Stating that DBA's want to put everything in the database simply
because the database is where they spend all their time is as
fallacious as stating that developers always want to put everything
in the application because that is what they work on.

Granted, there are a number of folks in both those camps.

But, not the good ones.

Jared Still